Friday, June 21, 2019

100 mile out, 1/2 Marathon in

Right up until the morning I needed to leave I was on the fence about South Wales 100. I decided not to do it. There was no connection to the race. It was just there to do. There was no real motivation. The thing that pushed me over was the amount of "emergency" gear we had to carry. It was just too much crap. I'm not here to backpack, this was a running race.  I understand the Welsh weather can be extremely erratic but isn't that part of the allure of these races? Ironically the weather was perfect, waking to blue skies this morning I kind of wished I was out there! Anyway.... I'm done with ultras for now. 

Instead I've pretty much committed to the Worcester City Half Marathon in September. My job is a sponsor, free entry, and it's a fast course. I haven't ran fast in a long time so that seems to be a fun motivator. As of this morning it's worked. I'm excited. I'm ready to train. It will be fun to run on the road and get a solid PR for the half marathon, something I've always raced on the trails which is an inconsistent medium. 

Thursday night we had a fantastic session at Jeet Kune Do. The head instructor took the class. He's extremely experienced and has a very commanding but fun presence over class. It was a very active class finishing with Thai boxing drills which always spike out everyone's heart rate. People know it was a tough class when I leave and my shirt is soaked in sweat! It was also very motivating. We are doing more higher level stuff within the back belt grades which has been fun. We've got this tool box to choose from now and we're working on flowing it all together. Using Bruce Lee's philosophy of throwing away what is useless and choosing the specific strikes, defenses, takedowns, etc. we personally prefer. It's really rad when things start to flow naturally, it's a fascinating sensation to perform without thinking. I'm so glad I joined these classes and stuck to it. The academy is my social life now. It's a super positive environment. Today is the party to celebrate and open a third studio which will have a full size MMA ring, gym equipment, new classes, and other surprises. Unfortunately I can't be there but I'm excited to take advantage of anything I can fit into my schedule. As my daughter changes classes it opens up more time for me to train either another art, take advantage of open mat time, or just use the gym while she's in class. I'm really psyched! 

Trying to juggle running, JKD, and my strength routine something always slips to the back burner, lately that's been JKD. I need a solid schedule to follow. It's amazing how little time it takes to improve or even start a habit. Beginning something for just 5 minutes 2-3 days a week usually builds in time because you're having fun. Start small and it magically lengthens. 

Today we are off to Cardiff in Wales to see the wife's sister and nieces. A fun afternoon at a place called the Imaginarium, I'd assume like the Science Museum, is planned. I'll maybe get out for a run tonight, then we'll dig around the beach tomorrow. Looking forward to hopefully a fun couple days away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment