Sunday, December 22, 2019

Lotteries continue.......

Just finished another three week cycle of building miles. Topped out between 57-60 miles for the past few weeks which is the most I've consistently run. Definitely feeling it though. Got a bit excited on week 2 and pushed the pace a bit too much, my right calf is feeling a bit off. I think I'll be alright though. Christmas week is a step back to lower weekly miles. I'm going to try my hardest to not let the holidays and travel divert my plans. As I've mentioned before my two run commutes definitely make hitting the higher miles much easier. I guess I'd be very happy with two 40 plus mile weeks all things considered.

The other day I entered the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc lottery. UTMB is the biggest ultra in Europe, it's right up there with Western States 100, and actually, likely more popular. It as well is difficult to get in to. I tried in 2014 but wasn't selected and up until now I've not met the requirements to get in. They require a certain amount of "points" that you get from specific races to get in. Then, it's up to luck!

The race is a doozy. It's 105 miles circumnavigate Mont Blanc starting and finishing in Chamonix with around 30,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. Click on the map below and I believe you can zoom a bit. 

   
UTMB course, image from UTMB website

I've yet to search for a crew for West Highland Way. I think I'll throw it out there on the Facebook in January and see what I get. It still frustrates me that it's required to have a crew. And to top that off the wife has yet to confirm if she can get work off for when I'm gone. Supposedly she has some meeting. Anyway....




In other news I was awarded the Jeet Kune Do Black Belt of the Year at the academy. It was definitely unexpected! I try to help out as best I can and attend other people's gradings to provide encouragement and help out if needed. I love that place and wish I could be there more. I get frustrated when I have to miss classes for school functions or the wife is out of town for work. It was nice to be recognized though. I may not have perfect attendance or be the best but that doesn't matter, we're all there for different reasons and I think it's safe to say no one is there to learn how to hurt people. 

This was definitely a huge motivator to practice more at home. Running draws a lot from me and outside of that will power to do extra things wanes. This was a nice kick in the ass to set more habits and it’s working!  Besides when I train the kids usually do too. It’s good and bad, as the focus becomes on their curriculum vs mine but either way it’s still a win. Now if I could get my consistency back for strength training! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment