Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Looking Ahead

So it looks as if the plan for the Cotswold Way Century is a go. I just need to register. I got the all clear by the wife. This may not seem like a big deal but the wife will be a few weeks from having our second child! I think she understands how important it is to me to at least try to get in to UTMB since this opportunity may never come around again. I think that's pretty cool of her since she isn't a runner and pretty much has no idea of what I'm doing! Ha ha ha! 

I was looking at my training from last year running up to Superior and was comparing it to this year's lead up to Lakeland 100. I'm definitely down a bit on miles but I think this shortness will be made up in consistentcy. Pre-Superior 100 I didn't have the consistent months of running like I do now so hopefully I'll be ok. 

I've kind of started viewing my running in the long term, like everything I'm doing now will pay off in the future and I'm not overly concerned with how I finish these two hundreds this summer but more focusing just on finishing. I mentioned the no UTMB points for LL100 kind of turned me off on the race which may be one factor. Also I think the daunting task of having a 3 year old AND a new born this winter has had an affect (effect?) too. I'm most likely not going to be able to train as much this winter and who knows what will come in 2015 as far as available time to run. That's a HUGE question pertaining to a UTMB entry! 

I figure if I can just hold on to my fitness not worrying too much about big miles I think I can come out in a year or two alright and maybe even ahead. By ahead I see it as the consistency and adding more years of running when the opportunity to race again conveniently comes around as the kids are older I should be faster than I am now. The nature of these distances seems to bode well for masters athletes where fast twitch muscles aren't as important as shorter distances. 

Hopefully by then I'll be living back in the USA and then have the opportunity to get into some of the classic ultras I first read about in high school; Western States, Leadville, etc. and maybe even Arrowhead 135. That would be pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment