Sunday, June 22, 2014

The mind: friend or foe

I keep having difficulties looking at these two up coming races as "just to finish". That concept I'm having trouble with. It is a race and my mentality in a race is to, well, race! I've got to get that out of my head! 

Training has been ok. I feel decent, injuries come and go, some persist (toe). Yesterday I was planning and psyched to run 50 miles, I even had an easy week leading up to it. It's that time in the training cycle for Lakeland 100 but I couldn't find a race to do so figured I'd just go run. This became more difficult than I thought. 

I had a nice 13 mile hilly loop all laid out. The plan was to run four loops and resupply food and water at home. I woke early and headed out, feeling decent, moving along at a consistent pace. I did two loops and went in to resupply and say hi to the wife and little one. I was feeling fine and running well and then got sucked into the house, demotivated to run. It was over that fast. 26 miles in about 3:30 was a solid run I guess but as so many people say "don't sit down at aid stations" I essentially had done that. 

I had a fun day in the sun with my wife and daughter but was depressed all afternoon and evening for not finishing what I started. I still need to do the workout but only have two weekends before I need to taper. Who knows if it will happen but it all comes back to the "just finish" thoughts. Other than getting you to try out your equipment, feeding plan, and experience some discomfort, I think this one long run solidifies the thought that yes you can finish.

I have the ability to finish Lakeland. But the race mentality keeps sneaking in. I currently do not believe mentally I have done the proper training to race Lakeland. I need to focus on purging the racer thoughts from my head and just go run the event or try to convince my mind that I have the mileage to race. Some people run 35 mile weeks and finish very high in these races claiming it's all mental. I believe this, just need to find the mental training. 


No comments:

Post a Comment