Thursday, November 27, 2014

And my legs are back. That didn't take long. 

I'm feeling pretty good despite major episodes of sleep deprivation. I'm trying to not stress too much about missing days right now. Considering the circumstances they'll most likely be a must. Not because I don't have time, but because I'm not sleeping consistently. I've already picked up some illness, noticed a crazy bump of flesh protruding near my ear the other day. It ended up being a lymph node. Sure enough a day later the scratchy throat arrives! I need to stay healthy.

It's been fun toying with training deprived of sleep and it's opened my eyes to the possibilities of training; ie running at 3am IS possible. Training around a crazy schedule also makes me realize even more how much free time there really is when you focus on what's important to you, disconnect the iPad and use the time productively. 

One of the hardest things it seems while being exhausted is staying calm and positive. The more I see this side effect of my family life right now it's a huge training opportunity. Realize that yes I feel like shit. I'm tired. Grumpy. Rarely am I this tired so focusing on staying in a positive frame of mind during these times of exhaustion is a win win for everyone. It's not easy, willpower is a fascinating phenomenon, but practicing can only build it up. 

In order to maximise my time last week at work I got out for 5 miles on my lunch break. I can't believe I hadn't taken advantage of this before!  Probably because I can normally bang out 17 miles before 7am and it was unecessary, but now I would feel confident tacking on another few at lunch. Great opportunity to run in a new area. I think this will become routine. Kind of a hassle bringing my running stuff to work but well worth it. Good opportunity for day time photos too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment