Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Week 12

Well week 12 turned into a full blown recovery week. I decided it was now time to 100% rest and try and to get rid of the shin splint I've got in my lower right leg. I took Monday through Thursday off. I iced, rolled, stretched, massaged, ibuprofened multiple times a day. It wasn't that bad but I wanted it gone.

full moon at 5am

I ran Friday, an easy five miles and it seemed ok. I wasn't sure if I was just paranoid and noticed a tiny dull pain but significantly better. It was a relief that it went away with rest. I know I can fix it. I took Saturday off.

Sunday I went all in. I woke at 4am, ran in the full moon, saw the sun rise. I finally got to try out my "weekday loop." I estimated it at 13 miles and around 2000 vertical feet. It has solid steep hills (12-14% grades), long gradual descents, and is half road, half trail. My leg felt fine! The loop ended up being 14 miles and 1900 feet. I'm hoping to knock this out 3-4 days per week and then do 15 - 20 miles on Sundays unless I've got a longer run planned. Very happy with this loop considering I no longer live in the mountains.

The injury is still there but I feel confident if I'm cautious and persistent it will totally subside.

Sunrise opposite the full moon 

I've somewhat fallen off my training plan. The speed work caused me to run on my toes more, tightening my calves, and causing this injury. So, I may scrap speed work for a bit (I was planning two more weeks of it) and jump right into distance. I think I'm ready and excited for it. So weekly miles will grow from 40 to 50 - 70 miles over the next 8 weeks. If I can hang on to that I'll be extremely happy.

road running Heightington Rd

Morning running is now becoming an option. The little guy is sleeping consistently enough that 4-430am running is a go! Very happy about this. Running is an extremely selfish act and I prefer to be out of sight out of mind of my family, plus it's safest early. No people, no cars, perfect.

My good friend from college bike racing confirmed he's coming to help. Nathan is like me, he used to mountain bike all the time, got married, had kids. Bikes are time consuming. Running is significantly less. So, like me he runs, and runs ultras. I haven't seen Nathan for maybe 7 or 8 years so it will be fun to catch up. 

After I told him my flight plans, I mentioned I may want him as a pacer, something I've never had. He has run a handful of 50 and 100 milers and dealt with bad stomach problems. He asked to see my "fueling plan!" I don't have one since I'm normally crew less. He sent me his and it blew my mind how organized he is! It's safe to say I'm glad he's on our team. I think his experience with feeding will be awesome to have. I know I should eat and drink more during these races and having someone like him will help tremendously. He's up for helping with whatever is needed and will have a big pickup with a cooler full of ice ready to go! 

Nathan told me after our few email exchanges he went for a run around Corvallis and was "giddy like he was pacing me at Western States!" This race is a big deal. Not just for me, it's pretty special to help out pacing and crewing too. It's really a team effort and the pacers and crew end up working just as hard as the runner. My friends' excitement reminded me, the other night I put on a YouTube video of the race and my wife watched it for a bit. I think she understands now what this is all about.

Trig Point looking down on Stourport

Oh! I just remembered my friend from Aspen confirmed as well just today. He said he'll be in Tahoe all week. He lives in Half Moon Bay, CA and has a job as a sales rep. He's pretty mobile and will be able to work from his DIY camper van all week. Then his wife, Jen, will arrive Friday. 

This week I'm just looking at increasing mileage to 50 - 60 miles. I'm not going to worry about pace, if anything I want it slower than normal. I just want to ease into it being mindful of my leg. 

On we go.

River Severn single track

No comments:

Post a Comment