Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Week 3

Week 3 was fairly insignificant. Very little running. I figured I'm within a time frame that any running will only ease my mind and not really effect my fitness, and could bother my foot so I may as well focus on things that will help. Sunday I did run ten miles along the canal. I pushed the pace a little considering my foot. It was nice to go faster and more consistent. My foot was fine just that nagging achilles which was runnable.

Heat. I mentioned heat training on the bike in my previous post. I continued with that another day and also sat in my car one night with the heater on full bore watching a movie on my iPad. Not as hot as I would expect but better than nothing. Every run I've done also has been in full winter clothes. These must be working because not only is it very uncomfortable but in the mornings I've felt the "chill" a bit more than normal. My canal run was fun as mentioned at a more consistent pace but not fun in full winter clothing!

Downhill Running. Well I attempted a downhill session on the Wyre Forest one night. I ran a one mile descent 3 times at sub 5 minute per mile pace until my foot become mildly bothered. I stopped. Better safe than sorry. My good friend who will be pacing me chimed in with saying downhill training is too tough on the body and not worth the risk which I totally agree with. I also agree with him to continue strength work and I'll be fine.

I had my final night of Jeet Kune Do last night until after WS100. Probably a good thing since kicking and jumping around barefoot can't help my foot. Today it is sore and of course worries me. I have yet to cancel my physio appointment on Thursday but plan to today. I really don't think anything else she can do will help other than rest.

I'm obviously in a mental state with such odd inconsistent training and also having a mild injury. I've done a solid amount of long runs and felt comfortable doing them, I've ran more hills than in the past, I've done speed work too; all this gives me confidence. However I've not had the total weekly consistent volume I'd like within the past 6 weeks. I'm going into this with uncertainty which is bad. I've been told I "suffer well." this is a good quality as long as I can get my mind in order I WILL finish. I think the final days leading up to the race I need to focus on positivity and give myself some mental training convincing myself I'm ready. My pacer friend gave some good words of encouragement the other day.

"Just make it to Forrest Hills and then I'll take over and get you to Auburn. 

Nathan"

It's good to have someone like that on your side. 
 Show original message   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment