Monday, June 5, 2017

Week 4

Well three weeks left. I initially intended on having a three week taper starting today, Monday. A much needed break from the past months of consistent running. I feel physically too good right now. Obviously, injuries occurred, plans changed. I've pretty much been tapering for five weeks I think!  

Last week went as the past few have. My foot injury fluctuated. My positivity diminished. Enough that I booked in with the physio one last emergency visit, just in case.

always curious how farmers create these footpaths through their fields

Tuesday I got on my bike in the garage, fully clothed, including a winter hat for a hour long heat training session. It was miserable but a step in the right direction and at least something I can do specific to the race. Wednesday I couldn't run my foot hurt so bad. I was essentially pain free all day Saturday at work except for a tiny bit of pain after mobilizing my foot over my lunch break. No pain was a positive however with no consistency with this I was skeptical.

countryside

Then came Sunday. My one hopeful solid day of training the past few weeks. I awoke pain free. Did the family thing all day until about 2pm when I suited up and stepped out the door. I started off for the first time in a long time totally pain free. The sun was out and I headed out my usual hilly loop.

overgrown crops on Worcestershire Way

All was well. I was a bit tired and sluggish feeling but no big deal. I opted to get off my normal loop and get on the Worcestershire Way in hopes of getting more hills in. The trail has become over grown already with nettle and some portions the crops hid the trail. It's a nice run through countryside although a bit slow going with the terrain.

rain coming

Soon a storm rolled in and rain had started. I got wet but nothing too bad. About 30 minutes later the blue sky had returned. Any injury complaints I had were gone. I texted the wife telling her I'd be a bit later as I wanted to run up and down Abberley Hills for one last bit of vert. It was wet and on the descent, I slid on my ass a few times. I retraced the Worcestershire Way and then looked at my map to see my options for more miles and hills.

muddy trails

I took to the road and found some country lanes that added on a 1/4 mile long 12% grade climb and I was able to do my normal hilly road route backwards. Perfect. It was nice to have a consistent pace on the road versus the trails.

Heightington Road

I put my headphones in and started cruising. I was feeling the effects of dehydration. The music motivated and took some pain away. My foot was still fine other than my right big toe had a painful burning sensation. Probably an old JKD injury. It came and went. I motored the final miles and returned home elated that it appears I'm healed!? The 24 mile run was comfortable and reassured me that I can do this despite running limited training.

Malvern Hills in distance

Today, Monday, my foot is still fine. I'm overall tired as expected but my injury seems to be better. So the plan now? At least one more 20 plus miler next weekend and hopefully a few downhill repeat sessions over the next two weeks.

WS100 won't be easy but at least I have some self confidence again.

All the photos are from my Sunday run. As much as I miss home and the mountains there really is some damn good running here. The road running on country lanes really is phenomenal of which I've only scratched the surface.


panorama over Abberley


   

2 comments:

  1. Great photos Andy! Glad to hear that training is progressing. I'm bummed we won't be able to make it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No problem you can't make it out. I think I'll be more than covered with the pile of people in Tahoe. You guys were at the most important one anyway on the North Shore!

      Delete