Saturday, January 27, 2018

Sickness, fitness, freakness, half marathon

I'm plugging away with the miles. Hitting 40 miles per week has been a good goal and in the past it has been a good number before starting more longer runs as an event grows closer.

The whole family had been hit with a nasty cold. Even my impenetrable immune system couldn't hold it off! So everyone was and is grumpy. It's tons of fun. I just shut my mouth, quiet down, and get on with it. Running blows out my sinuses and makes me feel significantly better (as does any exercise, even a quick calisthenics routine). Anyway, let's hope it passes soon, it feels like it's on the way out.

I'm harboring injuries still but they are tolerable. Piriformis, knee plica, a little calve issue which I solved. So, I'm hitting the foam roller and things are looking better. The piriformis is aggravated from hills otherwise it's runnable and the plica I think it is a JKD injury because it has no effect on running. I've always got tight calves so shin splints are common for me, just need to keep them loose.

around mile 12 or so of my "birthday run"

Still adjusting to the new routine. I think night running will be happening again. The kids wake up at 6am all the time and unless I'm back before that for some reason I'm in the wrong. I understand running is a selfish endeavor but is waking at 430am and being back by 6am selfish? I didn't think so either! Anyway, anything to keep the peace. When you have a goal you are passionate about you'll accept any routine and make it happen. UTS really grabbed my interest unlike Thames Path so I figured it to be the right race to do. 

I turned 41 on the 26th. Most people seem to get upset about birthdays, I do a little, mainly because I have no close friends here so I'm basically on my own. No excitement really but I guess that's part of getting old. However, I can't complain about my personal achievements in my 40th year. A black belt in martial arts and a Western States 100 Endurance Run sub 24 hour finish! Not too shabby! The day itself was fairly normal. I got our for a nice 15 mile run in the sun no less! That run would've happened anyway, also got a few nice gifts, and we went out to eat at Pizza Hut. They've got a vegan pizza option I was curious about so indulged in a little junk food. Not too bad and the kids were happy too. The wife I think was happy as well since it was half the price of going out to eat at a pub.


I recently came across research that had been done assessing someone's fitness for their age. I took the questionnaire and according to my lifestyle, history, etc. I have the fitness of someone under the age of 20! Well it sure doesn't feel like that but I'll take it! Seems to come from a reputable source as well. Made me almost as happy as my run on my birthday! I must be doing something right, sometimes all this healthy eating and exercising becomes a burden, a social issue as people look at me like I'm an oddball. Oddball. Freak. I kind of like that. Yeah I'm not like you, I'm fucking different, and I'm happy that way. I embrace the freak. It's who I am. I recently read a really good blog post on that whole topic and it really was a nice boost of positivity since I fit in here like a square peg in a circular hole.

Tomorrow, Sunday, I'm running a half marathon on the Wyre Forest. No idea what the course is but am assuming shitty muddy conditions. That's ok it's mostly a reason to run on the forest in the daylight rather than a race. Knowing me I'm sure I'll give it my all even though I ran 15 miles yesterday, 5 or so today, and have a few injuries. It will still be fun. Curious how the piriformis will be. On we go........   


No comments:

Post a Comment