Monday, October 8, 2018

Autumn 100 is this Saturday. 10am UK time start. Google the race name and you’ll find all the details on the Centurion Running website, tracking info will be there too.  I’d assume they  (Centurion Running) will have possible front of the race updates via Facebook and Twitter too.

I’m spending the night in a hotel in Swindon Friday then driving down 45 minutes Saturday to the start in Goring and Streatley.

I’ve done what I can do training-wise to the best of my ability. Surrounded by kids who demand attention and no real support network I had one of the best streaks of consistent higher mileage weeks ever. I’d liked to have ran 2-3 more 20 milers but feel the higher mileage weeks will hopefully make up for it. My Minnesota visit really tired me out and put a wrench in the routine but was worth it.

I’m struggling with the idea of starting slow. An 11:30 minute mile average pace will likely be a top 15 finish time under 19 hours (added in to that is dead time at aid stations). Last year top 25 was all under 20 hours. That’s too slow to me, but fast in a 100 miler. I figure 15 aid stations with an aversge of 5 minutes at each (some more some less) will tack on 75 minutes to the finish time. So moving time keeping pace of under 10:30 minute miles as a really rough average could be a reasonable target. Well, at least for the first 70 miles. Then I’ll hopefully fully be able to go a little faster.

The thing to keep in mind is this is a relatively flat race compared to others I’ve done so walk breaks for big climbs won’t really happen. Consistent pacing seems to be crucial.

I’ve got my watch set up to monitor my current and overall average pace which will hopefully keep me in check for the first 3/4, at least that’s the plan. Then I just need to be sure I eat and drink.

I’ve always thought I could do well at these races once I figured out the strategies of all the nuances of the ultramarathon. I’ve experienced the sleep deprivation, vertical, heat, cold, my equipment is dialed, at Western States I learned to start slow, but I do feel I need to fine tune my feeding, I don’t eat enough. Maybe this will be the race it all comes together?

Whatever happens it should be fun and I’ll do my best. As usual in the UK I’ll be alone, no crews are allowed anyway, but it’s always awesome having family there. I understand it’s a long boring race to follow and running is an enormously selfish act, but I like to think my kids look up to me and the things I do. I’m always jealous of the people who get to cross the finish line at races like Western States, UTMB, and Tor des Geants with their kids. That will always be a dream of mine.

So this will likely be my last post until after the race. Stress reigns high here as always. I take the brunt of it. I hope I can conjure some PMA to keep the evil away. Negativity is a poison. Stress is a poison. I do my best to let positive thoughts triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment