Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Autumn 100 thoughts

Just a few thoughts on things that could be improved for future races. These things are all a learning experience and everyone I bring new ideas to the next. 

- Pace, pace, pace. Go out easy dammit!

Yep. I knew better. I knew I was going out too fast, even at the 8-9 minute mile pace I was at. The guy who got third started easy and finished further up just as expected. He was top 30, not top 10 the first 25 miles. The race starts at mile 70. This was my main fault in this race. I may have been over confident because training had gone well and decided to push it. The reality, if you start slow you can always go faster at the end rather than be reduced to a crawl.

- Feeding, potato chips and trail mix-

I've never really considered a plan for eating, or what I really prefer. For A100 I tried to eat a gel at about 30 minutes out from an aid station, I'd usually be at the next station within 30-45 minutes. This worked even though I don't care for gels. My sugars and energy felt fairly consistent throughout the race. I ate quite a bit of real food at aid stations, especially when there was more substantial options like pasta and cake, however sitting around eating and not moving likely added to my time. I don't care for the British "nibbles," sausage rolls, cheap "cakes," candy, and other bland British snacks. I was really drawn to the potato chips and trail mix, surprisingly even more so than fruit. I'd guess this is a good thing as the latter is far more calorie dense. Peanut butter sandwiches seem like a great option but I end up gagging on the dry bread. Soup broth was exceedingly good but is usually too hot to chug and I end up wasting time. Also since many races are going cup less, and requiring you to carry a cup, I'd need a new cup. The collapsible cup I have isn't insulated and doesn't stand on its own which is no good for hot drinks and only for quick drinking. 

- Consider a light watered down energy drink. Drink more and early.

As always, despite trying, I didn't drink enough early on. I suffered from cramping on the second leg after mile 25. Then peed coke until probably mile 55. I need to figure out my sweat rate which is easily done and form a plan. Then stick to it. 

I think I may have accidentally drank some energy drink known as Tailwind that everyone raves about. I "think" because it was so mild it was hardly noticeable. I like that. Not loaded with sweetness or flavor. It's a good way to get more calories and keep hydrated so possibly a consideration to experiment with.

- Rain jacket was crap.

My jacket, although super lightweight, worked about as well as a tissue. I was cold and wet. If the race had been longer things could've been jeopardized. After I finished I looked at the seam tape and it was peeling off in parts. Very disappointed in the Montane Minimus. I understand lightweight isn't durable but this thing sucked. Maybe it is old? I don't know. But next time I'll sacrifice a little weight for more quality.  

- Knees!? What the hell?

No idea what caused the knee pain, something I've never dealt with. The only things I could consider would be more 20 mile plus long runs and more strength training. Both are areas of training I neglected due to whatever reason. The long runs are very difficult to get in as they cut in to family time unless I get up at 3am or take time off work. I'm proud to say I broke into family time only a few times and usually it was a boring Sunday afternoon, the wife had a chance to sleep all morning, so I'd duck out for 5 miles. Someone commented on Facebook congrats to my wife for allowing the training, the reality is I made time around my family and most of my running was out of sight of anyone. Some mornings my wife had no idea I'd even ran and I'd been out for 10-15 miles! 

- No blisters no chafing! 2Toms Sportshield wipe, I believe around mile 55, could've saved me.

I meant to reapply BodyGlide whether I needed it or not at miles 50 and 75 (Goring). I remembered after I'd left and had a 2Toms wipe in my race vest. I got it out and hit the possible chafe zones: crotch, thighs, arm pits. The only tiny bit of chafing was around mile 97 after becoming thoroughly soaked by the rain my inner thighs began to get it a little. Unsure if this would've been prevented with reapplication at mile 75 but I had gotten that far with no issues and was happy. I need a small checklist at my drop bag to remember the key things like this.

No blisters at all. Not even a hint of a hot spot! I changed shoes and socks, with a thorough feet cleaning at mile 75 at Goring. Obviously shoe fit and socks make a huge difference however other things like foot strike come into play as well at reducing shearing. Either way very happy I don't have to worry too much about this issue that plagues some people.   

- Aid station time? Moving time?

The question is how much time did I actually spend at the aid stations? I wonder if there's a way to figure it out? If time allows I may have to dig a bit into the Suunto and Strava data and see if I can figure it out. I know for a fact as the race goes on I do spend more time eating, stretching, changing shoes, etc. but how much? According to Strava I was not moving nearly 3 hours 15 minutes! "Not moving" is just that. So aid stations, pee breaks, stopping to dig out a headlamp, etc.. Obviously the main thing is aid stations. I tend to talk to the volunteers and likely waste a lot of time doing so. Cleaning feet and a shoe/sock change, eating real food, waiting for hot drinks to cool off, are a few obvious ways aid stations take longer. It's hard to be mindful of these time killers when you're out of your mind though, this is a key job for pacers and crew. 

I initially had estimated an average of 5 minutes at 15 aid stations. So, 75 minutes of aid station time overall. I think that's attainable if I'm mindful of it, intermediary stops should be a fluid fill up and food grab. Not a stop, eat, talk. Maybe bringing a bag and to fill with food to eat and run with would work? Then at drop bag stops a slightly longer stop for fluids, eat, socks, shoes, BodyGlide. Once again thinking of eat and run. A bag full of pasta is edible on the move so why not? Seems like a good idea. 






No comments:

Post a Comment