Sunday, March 24, 2019

Been nearly a month since my last post! Didn't realize that! Well running has been going alright, just trying to find that balance of running and sleep. I know I'm not sleeping enough and it hit me last night. After a busy day at work and working in 16 miles of running by waking early, run commuting, and a lunch break run I got home and was wrecked. I went to bed at 815 and was very happy I did!

I woke at 350 am after a really good night's sleep in the hopes of running 20 miles before 7 am but from the get go I didn't feel well. Just tired overall. I figured I'd wake up and feel better but that never happened.  I opted out at 15 miles so can't complain. Probably a good decision.

A little over a week ago I took a day off work and ran 20 miles. I felt great and enjoyed the day out. The best part was that afterwards I felt fine. Normally I'd expect to be super tired and hungry but I wasn't which was a good sign and definitely motivating for the up and coming Thames Path 100. I ran on trails that follow the River Severn so as far as race specificity you can't get much closer. I very comfortably ran 815 minute miles which is slow for me. Over a 100 miles, if I average 9 - 10 minute miles, I'd hopefully be in the top 10. Last year 10th averaged an 11:54 per mile pace. 2nd place ran 10 minute miles! I've always struggled with keeping it so easy, I need to really focus on it this year as it may be the missing piece of the the entire strategy.

I also started a pretty nasty weight routine for my legs. There's a couple guys who coach alpine climbers, nordic skiers, mountain runners, and ski mountaineers who recommended a killer leg routine specific to going uphill for a long time. It's mainly squats, jump squats, lunges, step ups using initially body weight but then adds weight via weight vest or backpack. I figure if I can make my legs bomb proof for the mountains I'd hope they'll be invincible on the flats. It takes about 40 minutes and I've got serious soreness a day or two after.

I've taken a step back on my upper body calisthenics. I was making good progress and started working towards one arm push ups but after a solid set of pull ups my right AC joint in my shoulder flared. It hurt enough for me to even consider a doctor visit. He pretty much told me what I already know but it was comforting to know it just needed some rest and strengthening. So I'm taking an upper body break but excited to get back at it.

JKD is trucking along. They've now started once a month black belt classes which I'm really psyched about. For the past couple months I've been helping the lower grades which has been very rewarding but it will be good to focus on some different stuff too.

Things overall are going alright on this dank dirty island. Really enjoying my hobbies and am looking forward to bettering myself as I get older.           

No comments:

Post a Comment