Tuesday, November 19, 2019

I did it. I entered the Western States lottery at the last minute. I can’t afford to go if I get chosen so it’s likely if I’m chosen I’ll back out and lose some of my entry. But if I don’t get chosen I’ll have more tickets in the hat in the future when I’d prefer to run again. 

However I made a mistake. One that could work in my favor. My credit card expires this month. The lottery is next month. So I’d guess if I’m chosen my card will not work and the entry will be thrown out. I lose all my tickets for future lotteries (which if chosen happens anyway), but I may possibly not lose the portion of my entry if I withdraw. If I’m not chosen I continue on in the future with more tickets in the hat. 

I guess the reality is I’ve possibly moved on from this race having already done it. It’s a massive expense with other experiences at other races I should really be looking at. It will always linger though. 

So lottery season continues. I’m anxiously awaiting the West Highland Way lottery results which I hope is early December. Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc is the next lottery with results in January I believe. Then the doozy. Tor des Geants is in February. 

My mileage is slowly increasing as this base period I’m doing is going well. Podcasts and audiobooks keep the easy unexciting paces shrouded in the early morning darkness tolerable which in turn is making me aerobically stronger. It’s hard to run really easy. It’s boring. But patience is key. 

Been using the Maffetone Method because it’s easy. 180 - my age gives me the top end of my aerobic heart rate zone. I add 5 beats because of my recent running history which is a lot. I keep my heart rate below that number no matter what, it can be mind numbingly slow depending on one’s fitness level. It takes months for the aerobic system to adapt so patience and consistency is key. Over time the pace will lower but also the body adapts to more miles making it stronger and less injury prone for if/when it’s time to add intensity. 

Shooting for a 60 mile week then an easy rest week and things are going well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment