Friday, August 5, 2022

Into taper we go


Selfie. I hate selfies. My second 20 miler back to back in 100 F.

Well I’ve made it safely through the process. I am officially within the window to begin tapering. 3 weeks until UTMB.

But I feel like I need to do more. I can likely get in a couple more bigger sessions but with the kids not in school time is limited. My wife has been extremely flexible, watching the kids while she works allowing me a few more long runs.  But, I’m tempted to do two more long runs with solid vert. I’m worried about the descending and am considering at the very least a bigger session focusing on eccentric muscle contractions used in downhill running. Trouble is there aren’t many steep descents near where I live and I really don’t have time to drive to Church Stretton like I did in the past. 

I do have a really steep and fairly long road I could use. It’s about 2.5 miles away and I can always just run up and down a bunch of times to at least get a solid downhill workout. 


Frog checking out my water cache

Since my last post things have gone well. I made it up to Church Stretton a few more times, once in 100 degree heat, and got in some great vert. I’ve been comparing training to the past and I’ve done more  long runs (20 - 30 milers) than ever. More back to back long runs.  More vert than ever. More speed work and strength work as well. My overall mileage has been less, but my boss reminded me to look at “time” not “distance.”  Very true, which has been more. If you trust the algorithms from Strava I’m 50% fitter than a year ago, and nearly 70% than 6 months ago, shortly after the Arc of Attrition. 


All the water I hauled in to cache on the hot day in Church Stretton

I have no idea if I’m ready. I’ve got to be! However it’s hard not to compare my training to others, but comparing to professionals is just plain stupid! I guess that’s maybe midlife crisis, viewing my abilities as a 20 year old, thinking I’ve still got that. I’ve got the focus now, just age/life is against me. Wish I had this focus back then. 

So into taper we go, gradually reducing the amount of training. I adjusted my training plan and it seems once I’ve done that I’m comfortable with what I have done. 

The big stress now is sorting out crew. With mandatory bus service and road closures it’s fairly straight forward how to get where. I’m struggling with giving my family a general time when I’ll be somewhere. A race of this magnitude is super hard to estimate my times. I’d like to think I can finish under 30 hours but I honestly don’t know. Sometimes I wish it was just me going alone. Far less stressful. Can’t wait to start and forget about all of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment