Thursday, January 23, 2014

New goal to focus on

So here we go. Signed up for my second hundred mile run. Pretty exciting. Very nice to have a goal now to focus my training on. 

Looking at the list if registered racers there are a handful of top ten guys returning for what I would assume is a chance at the win so I think it won't be easy. Either way the main goal as always is to be safe and then finish.

Still quite a long ways off until July 25th (26th?) so no need to get too crazy with the training. Tough not to though! Looking at my training from last year I'm way ahead mileage wise starting out this year. This may seem like a bad thing but considering the accumulation of base miles over the past few years I'm right where I should be. 

Lately with the wife's new job I've been clocking a lot of treadmill miles which hasn't been too bad. Watching movies and also starting to go through Lakeland 100 YouTube videos passes the time rather quickly. Besides, it's been soaking wet outside so when I do get outside to run I've been sticking to the roads. It has been a nice change of scenery.

The few injury issues I'd been complaining about have gone away which is nice. I've been keeping my heart rate low and adjusting my pace as necessary. I'm at the point now that I need to do some speed work to get my cadence and turnover quicker. My heart rate is just too low for my turnover, it needs to be higher. So the heart rate focused training has worked as it should have over the past few months!

Nothing spectacular training wise going on. Trying to stick to 40 mile weeks through January and then I'll assess what's next. I need to begin a long run once a week on the weekend so that will become the first main change. 

Otherwise I need to consider the navigation and self supported aspect of the race. Sure was nice seeing family at pretty much every aid station during Superior! Familiar foods at the aid stations too! This time there are only I believe 5 areas for spectators and no outside support is allowed other than a drop bag around half way. No big deal really just need to plan ahead with the gear. 

Navigation is my main concern as I most likely will not be able to pre run any of the course. Thankfully some guy went through the entire course with a camera and filmed the junctions! Pretty cool of him! Also in talking with a race veteran it isn't too difficult. So I'm not too worried but may try to get my hands on a GPS watch that can upload the route just to be safe.

More on all these aspects I need to consider later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment