Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Thoughts on required gear.

Not sure what day we are on for this sickness bug I'm harboring but it's still here but better. I've had a rough time getting out with family stuff anyway, top it off with some growing demotivation and thoughts of it will get better if I rest, I haven't been running nearly as much as I'd like. 

As always "at least it's only March" pops up but soon it will be May and I need to have the miles in if I hope to race well. All that base mileage from December and January come in handy now and I should bounce back quickly. Worcester Marathon may end up just a training run with no goal planned since the big workouts I need to do may beat me up too bad now.

I've made a list of previous race finishers that are running Lakeland this year, all of which were top 10 previously or people I know to watch for. Looks to be about 10 guys who made the list. Most are previous top 5 and you know want the win! On a positive, if I recall, they all are off the course record by an hour at least, and their finish times vary by 3 hours.  So, seems to be a pretty even field unless there are any dark horses signed up, like hopefully me! However in these distances things can vary drastically depending on weather, navigation, etc. I guess it's good to have an idea though.

Started looking at the required gear to get a little motivation. I've got pretty much all of it but just want to be sure I'm not carrying extra dead weight. Currently I'm looking at the required extra base layers, top and bottom. I can't find a specific weight requirement, only long sleeve top and bottom. UTMB says minimum 180 grams for a size medium top. The Lakeland race directors say it cannot be used or worn during the race except for emergency. So you can't start with it on. Weird. Well I've got some really light pieces and if it's for emergency and is just going to sit in my pack I'm going light as I won't need it unless I'm dropping out and need someone to come get me. The "can I use this during the race" isn't a question, these need to be lightest and most packable possible, function doesn't matter.

This is a bit different for the waterproofs required. I've already got the lightest weight waterproof breathable top and bottom (well at least until recently a new jacket came out) and it could be used during the race so not much room for picking and choosing here. It is what it is. 

We do have a drop bag halfway where I'll have changes of running clothing and shoes but these things  and what I'm starting with will be determined closer to the race depending on the weather. 

Just some thoughts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment