Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A quick one

Been there done that. Lakeland 100. I didn't perform like I would've liked but as the day(s) went on I changed my goals and finally finished. I'll write a full report as I find time and remember but for now here's a damage report.

I'm actually doing far better than I did post Superior 100. My quads are still a tiny bit sore but pretty much any delayed muscle soreness is on it's way out. Initially yeah I was in bad shape but could manage stairs fairly well. I had a bit of a click in my left hip which is now gone. I can use my foam roller no problem on anything. I am a bit achey though and definitely still tired from the sleep deprivation. You'd think that not sleeping for over 48 hours you'd crash out but I didn't, I've slept like crap most nights. I'd guess due to the lingering aches and pains. The past two nights have been better.

During the race I had no nausea or vomiting despite eating anything and everything, I think I'm lucky with this one! Also, I only got one blister! I didn't even know I had it but discovered it at Dalemain while changing shoes (mile 60 I believe). A small one on my right second toe. A quick drain and a blister bandaid and I never noticed it again! Once again, lucky! No chafe problems, only reapplied BodyGlide once. 

Feeding went well throughout the race. In the past I've just tried to go with gels but considering I can't carry them for the entire race this wasn't an option. I ended up thriving on everything! I ate dry ass British cookies, pasta, squash soup (this was awesome), tomato soup, peanut butter sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, jelly babies, beef stew, coffee, coke, fresh fruit, rice pudding, among other things I can't remember. Oh, wait, even a friggin' hot dog! The soups, sandwiches, and especially the fruit was a life saver. Despite the heat there was nothing cold, no ice, so finding something refreshing was great which ended up being watermelon, blueberries, nectarines, and strawberries. A few of the early aid stations were fairly low on good things but fortunately it got better as the race went on. I think I'm sold on solid food for these races. Maybe I was always worried about puking. 

Initially I wasn't drinking enough water despite the heat, the same thing happened at Superior, but this time I feel it was my downfall in performance. I started with one bottle and a second smaller collapsible bottle in my pack as a back up. I should've started with two. It took a long long time to recover from the hole I had dug being dehydrated. 

Just a quick one for now. I got back from the Lake District and it was immediately back to business as usual so I'm still playing catch up. Got out for my first run since the race this morning. Felt a bit sluggish, legs were fine other than a little bit of quad pain, but it was just nice to be outside. 




No comments:

Post a Comment