Monday, March 23, 2015

Impatience will only cause problems

Holy shit am I chomping at the bit to start getting out again. Not only because I love it but it makes me happy. Even the shittiest day of screaming kids and pms-ing wife is made better with even a 20 minute run. I look forward to the 4am wake up call to go run. Get away. Escape. Get outside. Yeah I get grumpy, I'm not all happy smiley all the time, and you know why? Most likely because I haven't ran! 

But I think it best to hold out until April 1st though. I can walk at full speed and stride with a tiny cramp feeling so I'm on my way to get better. I'm really tempted to try a super easy run but then I look at the kids' sleep routines and figure if I wait I'll have the time change in my favor which will make the other stresses easier (ie avoiding family time). The UK daylight savings changes this weekend I believe and hopefully the dark mornings will work in my favor getting the kids to sleep in an extra hour. 

I'd try my bike but with the room rearrange we've done my daughter sleeps directly above the garage that houses my trainer and the treadmill which could wake her up. Grrrrr!

I keep looking at new challenges. Even one-off things like Ironman Wales in 2016, just to say I did that. Distance no longer intimidates me. Finding time to train does. Injuries do. I keep reading about Arrowhead 135, Tuscobia 150, and other winter races. So intrigued by these but what's the point in training for something when you don't live in that climate? Same with cool mountain races, too hard to train for right now. 

I think focusing on marathon training is key right now. The time required is manageable and in order to step up to ultra distances all you need is to lengthen your long run which is not only fun but also manageable. The big benefit is the increase in speed. I think if I can properly execute a decent marathon plan I can be fast. I can be a solid sub-elite runner. 

Now I just need to be able to confidently start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment