Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Thoughts on Snowdonia 50

As soon as I can I start taking notes on my races. Usually just scrawled on paper as a heads up for next time to make everything go smoother. 

Here's my list cut and paste with additional thoughts added:

"Pre race - know distances and approx time between checkpoints. Look at the map/course. Have an idea at least!"

I didn't do this at all. I had in the past for all the other races I'd done. I don't know why but in general I wasn't prepared. I didn't even look at the map pre-race! I had looked at the previous year's winning times and splits but it would've been nice to have the times and distances with me as I was totally in the dark. For instance the last leg I thought was around 6 miles, I asked the checkpoint worker and she said 8 miles! I think it was 8km. Mentally this could have lost me the race. I think it was my overall lack of confidence in my training led me to a lazy "completer vs competer" approach.

"Music no matter what. It weighs nothing"

I opted to not bring my iPod shuffle at the last minute because I figured I'd be running with people the whole time. Dumb. It is tiny and weighs nothing. Searing metal in my ears for the last couple segments would've helped, the science shows music reduces pain.

"MAP worked really well"

Master Amino Pattern helped greatly at Superior and I feel it did here too. I didn't take it for Lakeland and I felt like shit. Coincidence? Maybe, training wasn't on for LL too, but placebo is a powerful thing whether it works or not. In my lead up to Superior training was crushing me so I started with MAP and it sure seemed to help. 

"More body glide - arm chafed a bit"

A minor problem that I noticed post race. My huge stick of BodyGlide ran out so I've got a little one now which means less coverage per swipe. Could've been a big problem though as it's best to prevent than try to cover up a sore later on in a race. 

"Phone charging option, spare battery? Assume there are no outlets"

Most UK races require you to carry a fully charged phone. I've carried a race specific spare in the past but decided to bring my normal phone this time as it's lighter. Service was poor and with normal use for texting and taking photos the battery drained quickly. Sure I could sit in my car or in the school at an outlet but it would've been nice to have an in-tent charge option. I may use the gift certificate I won at the race to buy something like this.

"You are car camping, think comfort: bigger tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag was too hot, pillow, big piss bottle, sleeping bag liner?"

When I go to these events I usually camp as it's free. All my stuff is ultralight gear from when I was a Park Ranger. It works fine but these items of comfort could be upgraded and used for taking the family camping too. I've already gotten a cotton sleeping bag liner off eBay for a few pounds. Going to get a good size wide mouth Nalgene to use as a piss bottle too. Trucking back and forth to the bathroom all night in the rain is no fun. I used a spare water bottle I had with but had to dump it outside my door after every use. 

"Solid food early was good, settled stomach throughout, Reese's Fast Break was good to have in pack."

I learned this at Superior after having a couple quesadillas late in the race. I'm ok with solid food and have yet to get sick. Gels are great for on the go but solid food doesn't rot my stomach. Candy bars are comforting and taste good on the go too. Nothing beats melon though!

"Carried excessive water, consider weather/temp. Maybe soft bottles?"

I carried two full 21oz bottles in my race vest. I have no issues with sloshing or bruising but considering I mainly only drank one in between checkpoints I could've planned ahead and carried less. I have two Ultimate Direction soft bottles but as of now I prefer the wide mouth Specialized Purist bottles. Easy fill is the main reason why. Soft bottles are much more compact but have a small opening and hold less water. May have been perfect for this race? Once again planning ahead looking at distance and time between checkpoints  would've helped; oh, and weather too.

"Is there a more effective way to carry a map?"

This is the fourth race I've needed to have a map at the ready. Carrying it in one hand really is no big deal but it would be nice to tuck it away within easy reach. I did stuff it behind a water bottle which worked ok, it was a tight fit and sometimes worked it's way out. This could work better with a soft bottle which would allow more room in the bottle pocket. I also would slide it between by race vest shoulder strap and my body but this did allow sweat to escape and was sometimes uncomfortable. Soft bottle seems the best option. 

"Can anything in your kit be lighter?
Buff instead of hat
Strip first aid kit
Whistle on race vest"

This could take some research but after seeing how little the guy I ran with had (despite me thinking he wasn't carrying the required kit) it peaked my interest to see what I could do. Base layers seem to be the bulkiest item so I'm in the process of finding some options. The search continues......

"Shoes drained and dried well, no need for extra socks. No blisters."

I've always finished with at least one minor blister that during the event I didn't notice. At Snowdonia I used a pair of Brooks PureGrit 3 and DryMax Trail Running (1/4 crew high) socks that were brand new. I carried a spare pair of socks due to the weather and terrain which was unnecessary. Despite being fully submerged within an hour of the start the shoes drained and everything breathed and dried very well. All day we were in and out of moorland, running through streams, puddles, and with on and off rain I never worried about my feet pertaining to hotspots and blisters! 

"Feet became sore towards the end. Possibly needed more longer runs, more time on feet."

In other feet news the soles did become sore. Maybe because of my lack of long long runs? I did have an old bruise that became noticeable too after a while. I've looked into ways to strengthen my feet. I could get more cushioned shoes like Hokas but don't really want to go that route, I've got a system that works right now. Overall not too concerned but something to consider in the future. 

"Bring camera, phone could be dead"

The morning after the race I went for a hike to see the town a bit and explore some trails. My phone pretty much was dead so my capacity to take photos was minimized. I should've had my camera, it's as simple as that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment