Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Life stress is piling up!

Yesterday while running around the Wyre Forest pushing the little guy in the buggy I was thinking about what's missing to make be feel so not on it lately. 

I wasn't running more than normal. My diet had slipped a little and I was eating more sugar and bread more than normal. Could I not be eating enough? Sleep was at about 7-8 hours which had been enough in the past. More may be better. I've had some virus for a very long time which I'll blame on kids. So where was the problem? 

I got home after 13 miles of buggy running and was wrecked. I decided to start with my diet and ate well that night. 

8 o'clock hit and I opted to go to bed. Yes, at 8! I popped a tryptophan just in case to help me get to sleep. I was up a few times for bathroom breaks but woke at 6:50! Fortunately the little guy slept until 7, we "grazed him" on food until bedtime which must have filled him up to not wake up hungry.

I never sleep that long! Anyway one big component is exposed, recovery is not enough. Now I just need to try my hardest to sleep more. Easier said then done with kids!

But what is causing this need for recovery? 7-8 hours a night had been plenty in the past. It's too easy to say age, that's a tiny component. The only thing I can think of that is easily forgotten is life stress. 

Erratic schedules with the kids I know throw me off. Especially mornings. There is no consistency at all with anything.  Dealing with sickness, tantrums, not eating, the list goes on. Every little stressor adds up. I want the best for my kids or at least what I think is the best, which isn't necessarily right all the time! When they decide different it stresses me out. 

My "job" is a stay at home dad so obviously I'll talk about the stresses of kids. I'd assume a normal job can cause the same things. However my job never ends, I can't leave work at work. I'm on call all the time.

So on we go tip toeing along the edge of recovery. I may finish this month off as planned, 40 mile weeks. Then take an easy week before jumping up to 50 mile weeks all the while thinking about recovery in the form of sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment