Sunday, July 22, 2012

Friday got out for 8.5 miles, felt ok I guess nothing to make note of, just another run.



Had a very successful Saturday long run today. Was up late with the little one Friday night and didn't sleep very well at all, maybe 5 hours at the most. I woke up at 4am but didn't motivate until 415. I wasn't sure what I was going to run, everything has been flooded lately along the River Severn so I changed my mind from a big out and back at the last minute and ended up doing laps around my normal 8.5 mile loop. This worked out great. I could refuel at home and be back out running right away. I was able to run with a handheld bottle and that's it, very nice. I think this was good practice for my race too since there are aid stations about every 7 miles. I also figured out what I would actually need with me during the race (one handheld with water and a couple Gu's).



Fortunately it was light out when I headed out the door. It was pretty foggy but by the time I was done it had started to clear up. Temperature was about 48 when I started which was perfect. I had intended to run about 5 hours. Ended up doing 4 laps of 8.5 miles and banging out 34 miles in about 4 hours 28 minutes! I felt great the entire run, of course I had to push through some tough times mainly overcoming muscle aches and pains but otherwise felt great. The first two laps I was clocking about 8 minute miles and the second two laps about 7:30. Feeling good instilled confidence however one thing to keep in mind is that the race course will be a bit hillier. Not that I was running flat laps but the hills will wear one down!


Took off today. I really think I should have done something other than stretching and rolling but being out of town last night and all morning it has been tough to motivate today. I'll get back out tomorrow and see how I feel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment