Monday, November 12, 2012

Knee is, well, OK?! Whatever that means!

Well it's taper time. I feel that I missed a few key workouts for various reasons so I'm counting on my base to pull me through this one! My knee injury is still there, but, I have been running on it and it's ok.

wet and grey, Severn Way
About 9 days ago I ran to work, about 18 miles along the Severn Way. It was a horrible run. Rained the entire time. I had the chills for the second half as well and didn't really have as quality of a run as I would have liked. Training for conditions is good I guess though! I got to Worcester in about 2.5 hours and had a shower in a local gym there which was nice despite not having super hot water. I had to carry all my clothes, shoes, etc with me in a backpack which wasn't too bad. I think on a better day it would be a fun thing to do every week, just when it isn't raining!

so close to a semi-warm shower!
Then on Sunday after that run I did my 8.5 mile loop workout that worked well for the North Downs Way 50. This time I woke up and on lap 3 my hamstrings felt like total crap. So, after about 25 miles I stopped. I now look back and wish I would have bucked up and did one more lap but better safe than sorry I guess. Knee felt ok. Before when I did the loop workout I finished 4 laps (about 34 miles) at 730 to 800 minute mile pace feeling really good. This time I think I was at 825 pace feeling like shit. So, hopefully that isn't an indicator of my race this weekend.


good running, maybe on a clearer day!

Normally I wouldn't care but although an individual event, I am on a team of 3. That team won the team race last year. I just want to perform well enough as to not hurt the team finish. May teammate finished last year in about 6:30, second place. I am going for a goal of 7 hours which should be good for a top 5 maybe. The weather however looks to be rainy which could be bad, or good!

I'm not too sure about my shoe choice but the traction WILL be needed. I'm wearing my Salomon Speedcross 3's. They are great shoes but have always seemed a bit narrow in the toe box. So I am expecting trashed feet post race.

I think I've got all my required gear sorted out. Ended up getting another rain jacket since I most likely will need to wear it. Got an ultralight Montane Minimus jacket. The other piece of shit I have, Montane LiteSpeed H20, is mainly for living in my pack to meet race requirements. It is super light  but fits like crap. After my rain run I figured it best to have one that will work.

I forgot to blog about my pack choice for the race, I'll try to go over that later! I may touch on my pack for my run to work as well which was more substantial but still light! Oh, and maybe some talk of food for this race since it's un-supported.

I need to focus on getting psyched for this one this week. Then, 6 days from now it's time for a break. Maybe 2 weeks off. Reset, refocus, plan. Then maybe crush some races in the spring! I know I have it in me, just need to commit to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment