Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bikes and knees

Well no running yet but I did get on the bike for about a 30 minute spin which was nice. Big surprise, my mood improved as well! So I'll blame the lack of exercise on my poor mood, not my daughter's molars.

Knee felt alright but it still comes and goes. In my research it sounds like the only options I have are to keep up with the stretching and foam rollin'. Then also work on strengthening my hamstrings and quads which will in turn improve the overall knee strength. I've still put off going to the physio to get it checked out.

I did some aggressive massage to the area of injury and I cannot tell if anything improved or not. The point is to break up any scar tissue that may be grinding against other stuff in there which may be the cause of the pain. Whether I'm doing more harm than good has yet to be determined!

Got a knee brace too for when I begin running again, need to get the next size down though. Just a basic neoprene sleeve that should help. I make it out like this is some killer painful debilitating injury, it isn't. It's just enough though to make me worry that it could get worse, but, once again, I DID just run a 46 mile race on it  with no problems! I just need to keep up with what I am doing and HTFU!

Oh, so no photos from the race as of yet but since I was on the winning team I got a pair of Mountain King Trail Blaze trekking poles. Pretty cool. Lighter than the Black Diamond equivalent too! Coming from a nordic ski racing background and having logged many a days dryland training with poles I'm curious how these are stiffness-wise. I'll write a little more in them once I receive them.

Still have nothing but good things to say about the Brecon Beacons Ultra put on by Likey's. If you come across this blog definitely check out the products they have to offer and support their business.  

No comments:

Post a Comment