Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Planning ahead and trying to remember.

Still trying to work out this piriformis issue. It seems to be getting better. I'm amped to run like never before, ready to focus on my final race; Beacons Ultra in Wales in November. 

In the meantime I hardly remember Superior 100, it's as if it never happened! I stare at the aid station directions and maps, look at all the photos, refer to the notes I've been compiling on the race, and things vaguely fall into place. 

Since I'm not running I have some spare time. I pour over race schedules looking for my next challenge, one that will fit into my family life schedule. I want something big, huge, something I'd NEVER thought I'd EVER have the opportunity to do. Marathon des Sables is out; too expensive and I can't even get in until 2015. Transgrancaneria, a point to point run over Gran Caneria (74 miles i think), I believe the biggest race in Europe, a very likely possibility. Although after the races I've done the past two years I have qualified for the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc, a circumnavigation of the Alps starting in Chamonix, 100 or so miles, 30,000 vertical feet. UTMB would be the best choice. I may throw my name in and see if I can get a place in December. I'd love to do the Lakeland 100 here in the UK but it filled up within hours of registration opening. I had an alert set up on my phone but, it was off, I was in MN! Hmmm...... I'm liking the idea of UTMB.

Anyway, I've began my bodyweight routine again and have added some ancillery exercises for injury prevention. I feel stronger after the time off which is nice. I've realized how hard I had been abusing my body and it's finally recovered. Beacons Ultra is mid November so I've got time to recover. October I'll most likely take a couple weeks and run 50 miles, one 60 to 70 miles, and one 70 miler, then taper. The race is ONLY 46 miles! I can say that now! Ha! Hopefully I'll be up and running soon so I can ease into it for a week or so. 

I love running. It's all I have left of who I used to be. I no longer backcountry ski, rock and ice climb, backpack, hike, surf, mountain bike, road cycle, shit I don't even Nordic ski living in the UK! It's all gone as my piles of top end gear and clothing become dated and dusty. I hesitate to sell it as I hope when my daughter grows up I can show her the beauty I have experienced. 

Running is simple though, cheap compared to the other things I've done, and as minimalist as you want it to be and at this point in my life I like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment