Monday, September 30, 2013

Slowly solving this thing.

Let's see, where are we at now? Almost 4 weeks out. Aggressive rolling and massaging my ass with a golf ball has significantly helped get rid of this piriformis issue. I've been riding the trainer to save some of the fitness I've worked so hard to build and to ease my mind a little. Ran on the treadmill a couple times for 20 to 30 minutes. Yeah, it hurt, but was tolerable and it didn't get worse which was great. 

I was intending to get out this morning but the shitty creaky floors in our house sometimes wake the little one which happened today. I always love that. Sure I miss my window of opportunity to run but I also lose the window of opportunity for "me" time. Silence. A quiet hot cup of coffee. Sit outside and meditate. Write. Think. I get none of that today. 

Well nothing I can do about it so I really have no right to get angry. So unfortunately today's hours for working as a stay at home dad are extended from around 530am to 8-830pm. Hopefully I'll get a break this afternoon for nap time, lately about a hour and a half. I'll try to get my calisthenics routine done during that time. 

So I've been thinking about changing up my running routine and rather than running in the early morning maybe try to run at night. This would open up more time for long runs since I've got until 6 am to be home. Not that I'd run all night but with the mornings I try to be back by 630 - 7 to "start work". Theoretically I could put the little one to sleep at 730pm as usual then be out the door running between 8 or 9pm, get in 1.5 to 2 hours on a normal night, get home, maybe shower, be in bed by 11 or 1130pm. If I run late, no big deal I just get less sleep. 

So looking at the pros and cons the no deadline to be back is huge! In the winter it's dark all morning so I'd be headlampin' no matter what. Night time the drunks are out so that could be a hazard and a nuisance. It's tough to motivate after a long day which is why I like the mornings, wake up get going, you're done for the day. No sunrise for photos, but as I mentioned, it's dark out with either option. The nighttime shower could rouse the little one, that's a concern I guess. I don't get the nice positive boost to the day from the morning run. Hmmmm.

Not too sure. The cons seem to be greater than the pros. Well for now I'm not running much anyway so I'll stick with the mornings. In the past I could get extra time in running on the treadmill while the little one sleeps but it is nice to get a 20 minute nap in too. I could use the chariot jogging stroller but as of now I want the little one off her ass as much as possible since she's on the verge of walking. 

So, while I'm injured we're staying as is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment