Saturday, February 11, 2017

Week 20

Another week nearly done. As I write this I've yet to run today, Sunday. It's been a productive week and my previous training is showing it's effects. So I'm back in another cycle of VO max intervals. I was hoping for three of these treadmill incline interval workouts this week but the little guy decided not to nap forcing me to shuffle my schedule. I think I'll soon regain my mornings, even if it's at 4am, I can't wait! 


first 100m of the Wyre Forest Parkrun


Initially I was hoping for a Monday, Wednesday, Friday interval routine. Any other run would be an easy recovery run varying in distance with hopes of 40 plus miles total. Monday I was very tired for some reason, however determined to hit the treadmill. Good or bad the little guy didn't nap and forced me into a day off as I have Jeet Kune Do at night. I wasn't complaining. He napped Tuesday, I banged out the workout and every interval was faster and easier than the previous phase. I was very happy to see results! 

"lost" in the Wyre Forest 

Intending to do intervals Thursday I was denied again with no nap and JKD at night. The same happened Friday! No nap! So determined to at least get two sessions in I knocked it out at 8pm at night. I was worried the kids would wake up but it worked fine despite the noisy treadmill. I felt sluggish after a long day and had difficulty getting my heart rate up but put forth my best effort. Done.

Saturday I had the day off from work for a JKD workshop in the afternoon so I took advantage and did my first Parkrun. Parkrun is a program worldwide now that provides a free timed 5km run every Saturday at various locations all over. It's all about challenging oneself no matter what your ability. Here in the UK they are everywhere and I was fortunate enough to have one at the Wyre Forest! I've always wanted to do this but I'm usually working. The Wyre course is very hilly and also on muddy dirt roads. 

Ankle deep mud in some parts

I "won" Parkrun with a time of 18:14 for 5km. My legs were tired from the previous night's interval session but I put forth a hard effort hoping to somewhat substitute the third interval session I'd been forced to miss. I guess it was better than nothing and it was a lot of fun. I ran the whole thing alone and was bummed I didn't get a GPS or heart rate track of it, I neglected to press my watch hard enough due to gloves and I didn't realize this until 2km in! Oh well. 

After the 5km I went out for a super easy 7.5 or so more miles exploring the Wyre Forest. I ran all the stuff I can't run with the Chariot. It was super muddy, trails appeared and disappeared, logging roads popped up then dead ended. It was fun. Easy days are easy, super easy recovery, so it was a very leisurely run. There was a light dusting of snow up high and it was trying to snow more. Considering the cold temperature, grey skies, and wet conditions there were no people around at all. I thoroughly enjoyed connecting with the outside world as I used to do daily. 

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest

Week 19 continues with another round of intervals, preferably 2 sessions, then filling in with 40 plus miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment