Tuesday, March 28, 2017

JKD Grading

A few weeks back I had a Jeet Kune Do grading. It was very stressful as it was only myself and my partner in front of our instructor. Normally we grade with the entire class however my partner was unable to make that date, fortunately rather than miss the test, our instructor was kind enough to reschedule for just us two at a later date. Good: we had an extra 2 weeks to prepare Bad: it was just us two! So, as I said, it was initially very stressful. We both were obviously very tense to begin with but as we tired out we relaxed a bit. I think it went well. There are always things you can improve on and do better. You can always be faster, smoother, more relaxed. My sparring is usually mediocre as I tend to take the defensive. I need to take the offensive. It's all a big learning process.  


Double stick or Siniwalli drills:





Probably one of the Muay Thai kick boxing drills:


Combat Submission Wrestling drills:


More Muay Thai:








 Sparring (boxing or Jun Fan):




Some of the stick sparring photos you'll see me with no stick. Sometimes your opponent disarms you and you've got to make do without. In the final photo where we're on the ground and I have no helmet on I had just taken my partner down with a double leg take down from MMA and as I began punching him on the ground my helmet came off! The fun part about JKD is that it's fairly open ended. Yes, we were stick sparring but you still have a fairly open invite to use whatever is necessary. No stick? Punch. Disarm, Kick. Take 'em down. Obviously when safety is concerned the fight ends but not after a little fun! 








3 1/2 hours later we're exhausted and happy to be done!I think we covered every bit of curriculum from all the previous tests!



Passed Phase 9, only one more to go until Phase 10, black!

1 comment: