Friday, August 14, 2020

2020 is turning out to be poop for running as well. Still dealing with this toe issue. And I had high hopes for a really cool race in Wales next year but since we have no one to watch the kids that’s out of the question too. 

I was looking at my fitness level from fall 2019 and it was erupting. Super consistent running, 60 mile weeks, and the gains I made were huge. Then it dropped a bit due to doing absolutely nothing on vacation in Minnesota, but within a week of returning I was back increasing. So I added some speed work, as you do, got injured, out for nearly 8 weeks. Then a huge drop in fitness and I’m back crawling out of hole only to end up where I am, injured, due to speed work. 

I not too concerned. If I can be back running 40 - 60 mile weeks this fall I have plenty of time to be in top form for the Arc of Attrition 100 miler the end of January. I just miss getting out I guess. 

I’ve been wanting to do a longer race and recently I got a reminder of entries opening for the Dragon’s Back Race. A stage race the runs the entire length of Wales from north to south. It’s 6 days of 50km to 70km a day (about 30 - 45 miles) with nightly stops at a camp where everything is provided. It’s not cheap but is only ran every two years in September. 2021 is perfect due to everything being pushed back a year I have zero chance of getting in any of my normal bucket list races. It’s affordable for me because they have the payment split into tri monthly installments. However, due to having kids, and no one to watch them or help out at home while my wife works, it’s not going to happen. Now I’m worried about bigger goals in Europe I’ve had. 

Just trying to stay sane while not being able to get out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment