Sunday, August 30, 2020

So my injuries are either getting better or I’m just dealing with them. Maybe they were never that bad? Who knows! Slowly returning my mileage back to normal. When school starts, this Thursday, and I am working, I’ll easily be getting more easy miles in which is something to look forward to. 


Heading up Carding Mill Valley

The wife took the kids to her sister’s in Wales Saturday overnight so I painted the house all day. Sunday I got up super early and drove an hour to Church Stretton and got in a fantastic 10 mile trail run on The Long Mynd, an area of steep grass covered hills and ravines. I’d raced out there before (Stretton Skyline fell race) so was a bit familiar. 


Sunrise from top of The Long Mynd, Carding Mill descending to the right.

Top of The Long Mynd

I timed it perfectly with the sunrise and of course I avoided the crowds. When I left the ranger asked if I’d paid for parking and we talked a bit. I had parked in a valley called Carding Mill, a popular tourist spot and trailhead. It’s a holiday weekend and he said they have had to turn people away because it’s been so busy. 


Ashes Hollow

I bought a GoPro camera and wanted to test it out somewhere cool. Brecon Beacons is two hours away and Church Stretton only one. It made me realize there’s really cool stuff close by. I’ve been trapped here and close to home by the British long drive mentality I think. I’ve been on the fence for a year about a GoPro, not that I can afford it making such little money, but I never buy anything so decided to. All the photos are unfortunately phone photos. Once I figure out my GoPro I’ll post what I’ve got from that. So you are missing out on the cool single track canyons! I’ll be putting videos on YouTube so have a look. I’ll post as I can and will likely be short snippets until I figure out editing. Try this link:



Caer Caradoc from Ragleth


Steep track up Ragleth


Panoramic from Ragleth looking at The Long Mynd

It was a much needed, although short, escape from life.  Between covid-19, furloughed from work, a struggling marriage, kids out of school, it was a nail pulled from the coffin for a change. I look at my life currently and it’s tough; I live in a foreign country, no family near, no close friends, no career, any career experience gone, no savings, I’m struggling to see any positives in my future. I was worried about this happening becoming a stay at home dad, I could rant on about how everyone here said I could go back to school, take a course, etc. when I voiced my concerns about my future but I have no one to blame but myself. 

It’s not all gloom and doom, my current job, although part time currently, does possibly have big potential, however it’s intimidating stepping into something when I look back at other things I’ve left behind. 

If it all crumbles maybe I’ll take my expensive camera and run home. Is this how people decide to do these things? 




No comments:

Post a Comment