Sunday, November 1, 2020

I was trucking along really well and hit a speed bump! Last week I was exhausted from the accumulation of lack of sleep and it continued into the week. The kids were off school and I was expecting a tough week since I wouldn’t have time to run for four hours at once, my weekly long run. I also missed two other sessions, an easy 7 miler and a 10-12 miler. I wrote the week off. 


Logging equipment 

I knew it was coming and I think I actually needed a easy week. It’s mentally tough taking time off and getting off the program. You feel like you missed out, but it’s never advisable to try to “make up” the missed miles. This week I’ve got a rest week anyway, although it still involves a solid long run, just little to no strength work, so right back to it I’ll go. 


Newish shoes

As of this Thursday I’m off work due to another full lockdown. I believe I’ll still be paid fortunately and I do have plenty to do at home (interior house painting). The kids will still be in school, kind of an odd lockdown I guess! My wife will continue to work due to her usually working from home anyway. We’re damn fortunate thanks to her job situation. The government says “4 weeks,” we think it will last much longer. Yes, people will die, but I feel we’re just kicking the can down the road. Anyway... 


Autumn colors at cemetery 

Big bummer is all extracurricular activities are shut down. No martial arts, no football, no gymnastics, no gyms, no swimming. This hurts the most I feel, and not just for adults but for the kids. 



The Arc of Attrition is still slated to happen the end of January. Fingers crossed. I saw some video footage on Facebook of some of the race course and it’s amazing. Crazy single track with steep drop offs to the sea! It looks really rad! 

The virtual challenges are popping up again too. I’m considering a 100 mile training week as part of the Centurion Running “One Community Challenge.” A virtual event for charity put on by the Centurion race promotion company. I’ve done a handful of their races which are great. You get a belt buckle for a 100 mile week and I figure it would “commemorate” this era in running. They did the same before and I passed on it. I believe I have a big 75 mile week planned anyway so maybe could add an easy 25 more miles with little detriment, it’s also followed by a rest week going into December before I start my peak training loads. 


Dirt augered watch

Took a really nasty fall ten or so days ago. Slippery mud threw me about ten feet downhill. My watch, above, shows how bad I augered in! My watch band tore off but I found the parts and fortunately fixed it. I caught myself with my forearms and a knee. Tore my jacket and packed grit and rocks into my skin, nasty looking caked clay and mud with blood seeping through. I sacrificed some water to clean it up my knee in case it has livestock poop packed in there too. Shook me up pretty good honestly but still managed another 19 miles!

On to a few more days of work until lockdown but back at training again. I’m hoping the time off work will be productive for running as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment