Monday, November 30, 2020

November into December


Whew, busy November. We were in lockdown so I was home from work. Fortunately the kids were at school and the wife working from home. So I got after it and did a ton of painting ceilings and walls, removed and rebuilt a cupboard in the kitchen to accommodate a new big refrigerator, removed the old fridge, repurposed the old fridge location as a pantry, removed and replaced the flooring in our downstairs bathroom, then a ton of little projects.....
 

Lame long run selfie


It’s been muddy! 


Ankle deep

Took advantage of the extra time during the day as well and caught up on sleep. The early morning running I love but it does wear me down. So a few shorter runs I normally do early I did in the afternoon. Besides there’s only so much painting in a 7 hour time span before you get dizzy! I feel bad saying it but it was great not being pestered by kids while trying to concentrate.


A little sun on the canal



Really fired up for this race. I probably mentioned this but previous 100’s I’ve only ran 2, maybe 3, 20 mile runs leading up to a race. I’m currently at 7 or so long runs and mostly 25 milers on hilly, muddy trails! Specificity! I’ve also been dead on with my strength and power work. Heard a podcast where a top women’s mountain biker said she only hit 80% of her training which was reassuring since I do get down if I miss workouts. I’ve only missed a couple long runs so I’m doing pretty good considering I’m training around family. 


Foggy morning 


Fog engulfing Stourport in the river valley


About 8 weeks until the Arc of Attrition 100 and things are going well. I’m finalizing my kit and have 4 big weeks of training coming up. Mostly two long runs a week. Then it slowly reduces down to a two week taper. As of now the race is going on but it looks like one threat is that if the covid goes up in my immediate area I may not be allowed to travel to the race in Cornwall. 

The UK has a three tier system that rates the severity of the infection rate specific to your immediate area. 1 low, 3 high. If you’re in tier 3 you’re not allowed to travel to lower tiers. Most of the country is in tier 2, Cornwall being rural is currently tier one. Fortunately we are tier 2 and it seems to be going down. Let’s hope it continues that way. I won’t be happy if a week out from the race after putting in all that training I’m not allowed to travel! 






So that’s where things are at for me. Back to work as of yesterday, running, trying to keep a smile on my face when I’m tired. In general everyone here has been in a good mood and happy. Been really nice, usually Christmas is a stress and I’m grumpy, must be the running!

No comments:

Post a Comment