Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Moving along

Well the running is dribbling along. I feel ok but not great and managed to put in 45 miles last week which was nice. Intended on doing 15 Saturday and then 25 on Sunday but Sunday never happened. So, the Malverns Ultra is in 10 days and I have absolutely NO IDEA how I will feel or run, if I'll finish or drop out. I almost feel as if I should drop out now and not even start. Hmmm. Not really sure.

In other news the body weight stuff I've been doing is trucking right along. I've progressed from headstands in late January to now doing handstand push ups which is pretty bad ass. All the other exercises are going well too. A little hesitant about pistol squats due to my right knee so I've been holding off. I have been able to do them in the past though!

The injury count comes and goes, life as a runner! The right knee gets better with massage and ice so that has been the routine (trying to be consistent with this). Out of no where after wearing flip flops the other day the side of my right foot feels odd. Muscle spasm in my upper back from sleeping on it wrong. All items listed I can run with little or no discomfort. Anyway, minor bumps in the road.

Upped my food intake after monitoring my calories. I had been down way too much. I'd been so focused at feeding and chasing around my daughter that I'd forget to feed myself! So new focus is eat more. I was playing with a high fat low carb diet (150g of carbs/day) for a few days for fun but I lost patience. I do not need to lose weight, I run fine on a normal healthy diet, and I graze all day so I don't really get crashes. I eat a pretty low carb diet in general anyway. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Racing. I am the worst at planning ahead for these things. Some people have things planned a year in advance! I may have a race or two in mind but nothing like I would like to have. I was asked to run in the UK Masters Championship Relays next month but I had to work. Would have been fun to do a short 5km on a flat course to see how I'd do! Oh well. Looking ahead at summer: Wyre Forest Half Marathon (July), Danny Dash, Stretton Skyline (Sept), Longmynd Hike (Oct), Beacons Ultra (Nov). Pretty much everything I've done before. I'd love to fit in a 5km, 10km, or road half marathon just to see what time I can do too.

Also was toying with the idea of one of the Superior Ultras this September. I'd like to get back to MN to see my family and our daughter flies for free until Oct, so if I could work it out that we happen to be in town over the weekend of Sept 7th it may happen? Big maybe I guess. Logistically we'd need rooms to rent north of Duluth, a ride, among other things but I'd consider the 100 miler if it all worked out. I'd love to have my family there not only to help as a crew but for fun. But the big thing would be a family and little one with the patience to watch/manage a 50 or 100 mile race!

Uh oh, the little one is up from her nap, got to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment