Monday, August 12, 2013

Injury update

Well after a 55 mile week and some time on my trainer I'm feeling a bit more positive. After speaking with my boss at the running store my injury may not pose as much of a threat as I thought.

So there is no pain when I push and pinch my achilles which essentially means its not my achilles, the pain is referring from elsewhere, most likely a tight muscle somewhere on my lower leg or foot. We think the hallus longus maybe. After running over the weekend it does seem to be getting better. I little retail therapy with a new pair of Brooks Cadence helped a bit. The calf work may be helping. The eccentric calf drops can't hurt anyway and will help strengthen my legs for descending. I've become a little more thorough in massaging my entire lower leg and foot as well. The golf ball from my father in law is much more effective on my foot than the little one's odd toys! 

Anyway, despite less miles than I had hoped last week it was sufficient considering how tired I've been. This week I'm shooting for 70 miles including a 25 to 30 miler hopefully, then it's time to cut back on miles the following three weeks. It's best to come into a race under trained and rested than over trained, besides at this point there is little I can do to make a big difference in my result. Time to maintain and heal.

I'll focus on stretching and foam rolling, my bodyweight exercises, some cycling, and may add in some eccentric squats to strengthen my downhill muscles (same as the calf drops). I'll run about 50, 35, then 15 miles in the three weeks leading up to the race for taper. 

Then I need to figure out a race strategy and take care of some logistics. I need to get anything needed sorted out, gear, food, etc.. Figure out if anyone wants to meet me at any of the late night aid stations for moral support, do I want a drop bag anywhere, where can people meet up with a change of shoes, socks, BodyGlide, etc. I'd prefer to be fairly self supported but something's could be way easier if someone could meet me. 

It's coming up quick! 

No comments:

Post a Comment