Thursday, August 15, 2013

Rejuvenation

Well I think I'm back in action. Not sure how, what, why but this week has been good so far.

The Achilles. I kept running, continued stretching, etc. and it is slowly going away.

Tiredness, fatigue, sluggishness. Yesterday I got up ran 8.5 miles then had the opportunity to hit the treadmill up for another 5 on the incline and it felt good, both runs. I hopped on the treadmill the day before as well for one long uphill and it went well too. 

Did I go too hard in the WOW and it took me this long to recover? Sure didn't feel like I worked that hard! 

Has the overall accumulation of mileage, chasing the little one, home life stress, strength routine added up so much I've finally caught up and recovered? I often wonder what kind of residual training effect I get from carrying the little one up and down stairs and generally being on my feet all day does. 

Has this high fat diet I've been experimenting with not only made me ripped (no modesty there sorry, the wife says I'm "hench", whatever that means!) but stripped my glycogen stores down that my body can't handle the endurance? 

I'm not sure what it is but I feel pretty good again. I did a little more research on this diet and could only find ultra runners, cross fitters, paleo freaks, etc. that are really into it. From a vanity standpoint, yeah it works, but for me no more. The majority of pro marathoners who put in 125 plus miles per week eat carbs. I think I'll eat carbs. I bumped my intake up from 150 to 250g to minimum 400g a day this past week. Still eating ultra healthy, limited wheat, but trying to get more carbs via quinoa and potatoes. 

It's actually hard to eat that many carbs when you cut out wheat! I'm very satiated in general with how much protein, fat, and vegetables I eat. So more fruit and as mentioned potatoes is the plan.

Got a new race vest from my buddy who owns Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City. Last week an Ultimate Direction AK Race Vest arrived. Great piece of gear. He's expecting a nice write up on it as I take it through the motions the next few months and I'll be sure to share. Rumor has it his shop is going online soon, support him, great people, great shop. 

Hoping for a good weekend of running, the it's time to slowly cut back until race day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment