Thursday, August 8, 2013

Just too close now for an injury!

So this Achilles thing is still there and it seems to be getting worse which is bad. Very bad. I've started doing eccentric calf drops three times a day which supposedly strengthen the calf, reducing load on the tendon, and also re-injure the tendon in order for it to heal itself. Supposedly the founder of this technique was attempting to injure his Achilles to the point that he needed surgery but ended up healing itself! Of course more rolling as well to loosen up my calf as well.

looking towards Kidderminster above St. Leonard's Church

I've been running fairly conservatively but really wanted to get in a couple long runs. I don't think these will happen. Just to be on the safe side I may just try to get a couple 60 mile weeks in and skip the long runs I was planning two 30 milers. I'm so close to my taper that I think I'm going to fight out this injury another week before reducing miles. Kind of a gamble but as of now it feels fine if I keep my calf stretched. 

Overlooking Stourport near trig point in Ribbesford

I've also got the option of an elliptical and my bike in case I do need to actually stop running and have considered next week going every other day running and then one of these. In all honesty however I need that taper bad overall. My body it trashed, I'm still riding that red line for recovery. I'm sleeping better and my resting heart rate is lowering which is a good sign however.

Coney Green Farm, Stourport

That's about it for now. The stress is high around here, some personal things going on, a grumpy toddler refusing to go to bed, and then trying to train for an ultra at the early hours of the day sure adds up! This vacation to MN is much needed in more ways than one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment