Friday, October 4, 2013

Getting better

Ok so I've actually been running a couple times this past week. Only on the treadmill and only for 30 or so minutes, and about 3 miles. But it's running. It was mildly painful but did not get worse which was a good sign. I've wanted to get outside and go further but I am dead set on morning running versus my recent thoughts on night running (as is my wife!). I just hope this phase my daughter is going through of getting up early goes away soon (I think she's pushing her last two molars through). She did it again today. Nothing I hate more than laying on my ass in bed doing nothing. Sleeping in is a waste of time. 

So I've been working hard to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings to hopefully support whatever muscle is weak and injured currently. It seems to be working. I've been doing 4 x 50 of glute bridges (short bridges) twice per day and some other miscellaneous bridge type exercises. Thinking about it, it is possible that my huge focus on squats has strengthened my quads too much in relation to the hamstrings/glutes causing this. 

I've had a renewed enthusiasm as well for Beacons Ultra. I had been really down about this injury and not running but the reality is that there is nothing I can do but focus on solving the issue and do what I can for training. If I race well I race well, if not, at least I got out to see some more beauty this country has to offer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment