Friday, March 27, 2020

So it appears not only running, but the running season is over before it’s begun for me! 

The West Highland Way Race is officially cancelled, choose either defer to next year or a full refund by April 5. I’m also signed up for the Montane Lakeland 50 which is in July. Fingers crossed they cancel it, I’d guess that’s coming! 

No big deal really since I’m unable to train appropriately. I can barely eek out 3 miles with pain. I’m riding the bike in the garage for aerobic fitness and to escape my family. I’ve also been doing a lot more strength work which has been fun. Who knows, it seems I could come out fitter in general than before! 

My wife thinks I’m crazy. She’s finally seeing how much I train since I’m stuck at home. “Crazy” as in not normal. Before I’d run and train around family time, she never knew what I did, never saw it since it was always super early or to and from work, she never would ask either. I just decide to do other things than sit on my phone I guess. I guess I’m not normal for not sitting on my ass, eating like shit. I like it that way.

I’m at home attempting to home school two kids and the wife is attempting to work upstairs. Any noise from us and we hear about it. Things seemed to be going really well. I lost it though this afternoon. Shit just fell apart. These things are tough with no feedback. I never feel like I’m doing enough. The given curriculum for the week for my daughter we didn’t finish. I don’t  believe half the shit she tells me. I think she lies about what she actually can do. According to her she can’t do basic addition (she’s in third grade), I’m calling bullshit. So in return we’ve not finished what she needed to do because, for example, supposedly 4 + 3 = 10.  I refuse to hold her hand and practically do it all for her. It will go back blank. 

I feel like I haven’t done my job. I gave up on her. That’s the hardest part. 

I just want to go for run to clear my head but I can’t. I’m fine with all this isolation, that was my life before, but this is more like I’d expect prison to be, you can’t leave. 

One good thing of all this is there are a ton of free body weight/ at home strength workouts available. Al and Danny Kavadlo released an entire book for free online. Uphill Athlete released a ton of workouts focusing on running and mountaineering. Then of course my favorite, Bobby Maximus, has a ton of routines as well. No better time to get really strong. I think I’ve had DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for a week! 

So tonight I’ll stare at a brick wall in the garage with a marginally operating iPad mini to watch, hoping whatever I watch will pass the time, and of course within the appropriate heart rate zone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment