Sunday, June 16, 2013

Long runs in new places

Well I hit my goal mileage and then some this week. Topped out over 70 miles which is where I want to be. Felt pretty good all week too. Yesterday got out for 16 miles before work and today 21. The little one seems to be getting up earlier than normal which is no good for running. I try to be back by 7am if I can to get her up and the day going. Also the wife has been running again which is great but she's not a big fan of the 5am start like me so anytime the little one gets up before 7am it messes with the wife's workout schedule. Sure no big deal but I want her to keep at it, she's getting stronger and stronger, is super psyched and happy, and is just overall more positive. I'd like to keep her on track with that. Earlier mornings may be in my future.

Yesterday I hit up a nice loop over to the Wyre Forest and then got kind of lost trying to connect to Ribbesford Wood via footpath. Unfortunately the footpaths seemed to disappear and were really overgrown. So a little bushwhacking and I made it but would have preferred a few more miles or a little less thrashing. Fun run overall with some new terrain.

Wyre Forest singletrack

Wyre Forest oaks

footbridge before the bushwhacking began

Severn Way single track

Today I intended to run to Upper Arley along the River Severn then onto the North Worcestershire Way to the canal and home. Was up at 4am and out running by about 430am. Very nice morning and not too may drunks to deal with.


odd looking deer near Trimpley reservoir

Victoria Bridge (Severn Valley Railway)

starting the North Worcestershire Path

Just past Arley near Shatterford (where Robert Plant lives) I got off the North Worcestershire Way and ended up losing the trail due to limited signage and limited map. I was hoping I'd bump into the lead singer of Led Zeppelin walking the dogs or something and then get directions, that would have been pretty cool! I never was really lost but had to improvise yet again. Ended up connecting to the Habberly Valley trails and just started following footpaths.

following unknown farm roads

Habberley Valley loop




I haven't ran much in the Habberley area but it was great, really hilly which is what I want! Anyway a good overall run today. A little tired but overall feeling pretty good and injury free. Right on track it seems.

Going to try to keep up the mileage this next week and then take an easier week before putting in a 30 plus mile run. Also need to consider the amount of walking that will happen during the Superior 100. I may run to the Home Depot equivalent and get some cinder blocks to jack up our treadmill. Then once a week get on it and power walk uphill for a few miles to get my walking stronger. Many people say this is a great idea since many of the hills in the race are too steep to run. I'll report back soon on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment