Wednesday, June 26, 2013

New races in the future

Well as the running season progresses things keep changing. So for my training for the Superior 100 I need to run a 50 to 60 mile run which I was planning on doing the Worcestershire Way from Kidderminster to Great Malvern and back. That would give me about 60 miles I think. However I expect the trail to be overgrown, I've never ran it the entire way, and I'd need to be very self supportive. All of these things direct me away from it. So, luckily I found a 52 mile "walk" that is going on next month in Much Wenlock, the origins of the Olympics.

The final event of the Much Wenlock Olympian Games is the Wenlock Olympiad Walk. A 52 mile tour of the Shropshire hills. The Olympian Games have all sorts of events very similar to the Olympics. Straight from their website: "The Games were originally designed "to promote the moral, physical and intellectual improvement of the inhabitants of the Town and neighbourhood of Wenlock"."

Anyway, the Wenlock Olympiad Walk is not a race however people do run it. They have 4 aid stations and it is a loop that covers part of he Stretton Skyline fell race I've done in the past. Seems like a good safe option for a long run. It only has 4000 vertical feet, I'd prefer more, but I'll work with what I've got. It's also only 30 minutes from my home, so conveniently located! Oh, and about 35 bucks! 

I've also entered the Longmynd Hike. A 50 some mile race one most of the Stetton Skyline course in Church Stretton and adds more obviously. The race seems to be a British classic and fills up in a matter of hours, I registered about 24 hours ago, just checked, it's full! The race begins at 1 pm I think so running into the night is mandatory. It's also 100 percent self sufficient with odd rules that you can't run alone at night. Anyway, sounds like fun.

If all goes well; no injuries, no burn out, I should be pretty tuned up for a stellar race at Beacons Ultra in November, the same race I did last year in Wales. 

So my racing has shifted from spring to fall. I'm feeling pretty good, although a bit tired. Well I'm tired a lot! I took the past two days totally off from everything which I think was needed. Back at it today, got in 14 miles, and shooting for a 60 to 70 mile week. I've been napping while the little one naps which has been helping with sleep too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment