Sunday, June 30, 2013

North Worcestershire Path success



Well the week went pretty well. A couple runs in the teens during the week. An easy morning on my bike trainer to give my legs a break. Easy Saturday run. Then 24 miles on Sunday. A couple photos from my weekday runs follow:




I was hoping for 30 miles on Sunday but I woke at 4am and heard a gang of drunks yelling outside which deterred me, then the wife asked me to go in the afternoon since she had a few wines the night before and wanted me around for the morning. So I was delayed, no big deal.



I got out at 2pm after the little one fell asleep and headed out the canal towards Kinver. It was hot and sunny so I wore a singlet and actually applied sun screen!  I headed out with intentions of 30 miles; 3 gels, one bottle of water.



People were everywhere since it was nice out, especially along the canal, but once I got on the smaller foot paths there were few. I worked my way up to Kinver Edge/ Kingsford Park and got on the North Worcestershire Path. This was the opposite direction from the last time I tried it when I got lost in Shatterford and altered my plans.




The trail was awesome, mostly single track and through beautiful countryside, some beautiful homes as well. I asked for directions going though a trailer park where a fat tattooed man with no shirt grinned at my accent, helped me out and then said "shouldn't you be drinking a beer in the sun?" My reply, "yep, it's at home, why don't you have one for me?"  He laughed and I trekked on.





I once again got lost near Shatterford, did a bit of a tour around the tiny village, and with the help of the photo of a map of the area on my camera I was back on track without too much lost time. Just before this I am pretty sure I ran by and saw Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin. A green Morgan passed me on a small country lane and despite the short glimpse it sure looked like him. The car pulled into a ginormous farm house and he lives right in that area. I threw the horns in the air just for fun.

the wrong way along this trenched out bridleway

the right way past nice houses! 

Shortly after I descended to Eyemore Wood and saw the mistake I made the last time I attempted the North Worcestershire Path and then I made it to Upper Arley. I heard the Severn Valley steam train tooting away as I met up with the River Severn. I then saw tons of people eating ice cream and I will remember next time to bring some money!




I called the wife to let her know the time frame and I decided to cut my run short in order to be home for dinner. I followed the Severn Way towards Bewdley but opted to cut up into the Wyre Forest to avoid all the people in town.

Severn Way

viaduct
looking towards Bewdley

I then figured out another section of foot path that I had gotten lost on recently which was nice. This was the connector from Bewdley to Ribbesford Church. Turning here now and climbing up into Ribbesford and on towards Stourport would add another 9 miles. In the future I'll do that for a long run.

sneaky foot path I missed!

For now it was onward towards home. So I was on my way in familiar territory behind the Safari Park. I finished with 24 miles. I wanted 30 and considered going out for another 6 later but after looking at my weekly mileage I settled on 24. 


a blurry shot of the Severn Valley Railway

poppies!

Overall. Felt pretty good. I didn't drink enough water however. I was peeing the darkest I ever have seen which was kind of scary honestly. I'm on the water now and will pee all night long now most likely! 

Oh, one last thing. I've been snooping around for a tiny camera to race with and found one. Nikon Coolpix S01. Not nearly as nice as the one I normally carry, it's a very basic point and shoot, but it is super tiny and light which is what I'd like. It was cheap too. Normally I'm in a race to race not take photos but am considering carrying the thing in the future. We shall see. Check it out, pretty sweet however you can tell the photo quality is not nearly as good above. I shot all the photos from my run today with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment