Saturday, May 2, 2015

Fast pace is more fun than base



Lately I've tossed base mileage out the window and have been running at a faster pace if I feel like it. I figure I've been doing base for three years, time to go fast. Maybe it's because the music I sometimes listen to is faster paced to say the least! 

It's been a good thing though; it clears my mind for better things. I'd missed that moment where your sinuses all of a sudden clear and a faint taste of blood and bile touches your taste buds, your heart is thumping but you know you have more. Going fast is good. 

I also proved that the standard equation for max heart rate isn't always accurate. 220 - my age doesn't equal 192! And I still had another gear to go! 

Running is glorious. 

Many times when I run, or on the rare occasion I dream, I have visions of running across the finish of Western States with my daughter in my arms. The final quarter mile is a lap around the track in Auburn, CA. She smiles the whole time, her hair bouncing in the breeze. She crosses the finish with me. 

Who knows if that will ever happen. But it always cheers me up and gives me hope that the things I've always wanted to do can happen. I just need to stay positive and make them happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment