Thursday, February 27, 2020

Peak District Shoe Testing

Well I did it, and am slightly regretting it. I overdosed on ibuprofen and had a great day, maybe two, running in Saucony Peregrine 10 and Peregrine 10 ST trail shoes around Peak District National Park. 

It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house to Buxton, where Buxton bottled water is sourced. There was a nice few inches of snow on everything but was rather mild with the sun temporarily showing itself only to be covered off and on by clouds. I arrived at the Old House Hotel (supposedly the oldest hotel in the UK) and people were already dorking out on running. It was fantastic. Saucony UK were having a retailer testing and training on their improved Peregrine line of trail shoes. About 12-15 people had arrived from all over the country. I met our rep Pete as well as the other Saucony folks. Then as people slowly warmed to each other conversations started. 

Initially we had a presentation about the shoes which most of I already knew however did glean some new info from which can help us sell more of the trail shoe line. Soon we were each given two pairs of shoes and a bag of swag. Changed into our running kit and hopped on a bus. Off to the trails we went.

Everyone had on Peregrine 10 ST, the more aggressive version for muddy, sloppy terrain. We also were asked to keep other brands logos to a minimum if not zero. Fortunately the swag bag had a decent bright orange wind jacket, a base layer, and hats and buffs were handed out as well. Saucony logos everywhere!



After a 45 minute drive through erratic weather of  snow, sleet, sun, and wind we arrived at our starting point. We parked outside a pub, of course, where Saucony banners, tents, and vans were parked. Off we went straight up hill.





The loop was about 6 miles and 1000 feet of vert. It was fairly windy but warmish, warmish for me! It snowed, rained, clouded over and the sun poked through as well, just as it had all day. It was perfect conditions for testing the Peregrine 10 ST. We ran on rocks, mud, ankle deep streams and puddles, smooth flagstones, pavement, grass, and snow. Other than the wind the conditions were decent with hardly any rain. 





Oops, deep friggin’ puddle! 

Through the entire run my leg was fine and towards the end became a bit sore but not too bad. 



We returned to pub, had beer and chips (British  fries), and soon were on our way back to the hotel for dinner, all the time talking running, the running business, products, etc. I crashed out around 930pm.

After a marginal night’s sleep I woke and I could hardly walk. My quad was swollen and I wasn’t sure if I’d be running the short 3 miler that was planned for testing out the other shoe. Not wanting to be the guy who stayed back I did my best to stretch, massage, and of course ibuprofened up! 


Hotel window photo.

More snow had fallen leaving outside even more intriguing. The pain in my leg soon was masked by drugs and I was hopping on the bus again! 



A shorter bus ride and easier loop around a reservoir was taken to test out the Peregrine 10. The all around version of the shoes. My leg was sore but I managed and soon we were back at the Saucony vans, tents, and flags and were eating warm sausage and bacon sandwiches (had the vegan sausages), a popular breakfast food here. Some small talk over food and back to the hotel. 





A quick shower and on to a bit more training and business talk, aka dorking out on running! Soon we were wrapping up and heading home. A fantastic short trip to not only run in new product, but see a new place and meet other runners. 


The right is swollen, no muscle definition.

At home now my leg hurts bad. Ice helps, it’s definitely swollen. I even skipped JKD tonight. I’ve got another PT appointment on Tuesday. Let’s hope I can ride this running buzz out until then. Definitely worth it. 

Thanks to all those who shared photos! 

And huge thanks to Saucony UK. Both Peregrine have a place, are fantastic shoes that I’d definitely recommend to anyone! 


Peregrine 10 ST and Peregrine 10

No comments:

Post a Comment