Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Physio update.

So I went to the physical therapist, my bosses’ wife who helped me before Western States with my foot. I had the kids along as well which I was nervous about. Anyway, it was the only option. Booked train tickets to avoid flood traffic and it’s fun for the kids. After booking I look at the schedule and the train has been cancelled. Ugh. So we drive.

Once in town it starts to rain but we deal with it and head toward the physio. We sit down and the kids are being pretty good. Mindy comes out and brings us into her office. She’s start asking a bunch of questions as I dump out crayons and paper for the kids. Then she starts the physical exam with a bunch of mobility checks. Then some digging with her fingers she finds done knots deep in my quad. I guess this is a good thing! No bone issues! She talks a bit more then asks if I’ve ever had acupuncture. Nope! Are you scared of needles? Nope! And a pile more of questions pertaining to fear of needles and blood. Nope! Soon she’s sticking 70mm needles into my leg! After three go in she asks to describe the feeling. It feels like there’s a ballon expanding in my leg. Super weird. Then she sticks a fourth “upstream” of the others. She slowly wiggles them in deeper as the sensation diminishes. It soon returns. It goes away again and she pulls them out. The pain is significantly less! 



I’m told to grind on my quads with a roller to release the tension and to also stretch. I can run on it as long as the pain isn’t getting worse. If need be I should get in touch for another round of acupuncture if needed.




The kids’ drawings of me with four needles in my leg.

She said it’s likely I could still race Stratford and West Highland Way. Time to go to work on my quad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment