Thursday, September 20, 2012

Raising my treadmill, darkness, and gear decisions



So I've began attempting two a day runs in order to get a few more miles in. I'll get up before the little one and the wife at 5am go run outside for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then when the little one naps I've got a decent window to run on the treadmill, anywhere for 1 to 11/2 hours. Honestly it's normally for about 45 minutes which seems to be plenty anyway.

The treadmill we've got is pretty basic, a Reebok i Run S I believe. We got it off eBay for super cheap, it looks to be a few years old but was only used about 3 times. The wife was mainly using it but I've stepped in now a little more often. I hadn't really used them much until now. I think I've talked about it in a recent post but, well, I'm known for repeating myself so sorry if it's annoying! 

Lame manufacturer photo

Anyway, this thing has a flat position and then a manually set 4% incline. It's set on the incline all the time, I don't really see any reason why to have it flat! However I wouldn't mind making it a bit steeper so I've been trying to figure out the best option to lift the front of it a bit. It's really light weight and sits on a concrete floor in the garage. I think I'll just find some concrete blocks and put them underneath. Since I'm just using it at a slower pace I may as well make it uphill for 45 minutes. That could be beneficial. 

The morning runs are definitely getting harder to motivate for. It's 100% night time now until about 615am. I also started carrying my headlamp to keep an eye on my footing. I've got a nice 10 plus mile loop that is all on sidewalks or canal towpath so it's fairly safe however a couple stretches early on are super dark and combined with the random bright headlights blasting me in the eyes I can't see anything. Having my hat or visor blocks the car lights and then having the headlamp on the ground keeps my eyes adjusted well enough.

One thing is that the photo opportunities will now dwindle. Some mornings I'll get an ok sunrise about 630 but it's hit or miss. Also with fall coming up it will most likely be overcast so the light will be no good. Oh well, I'll take what I can get for now. 

Did a little research on options for the required "fleece" for Brecon Beacons Ultra. Something I totally forgot about was a Primaloft jacket. Montane, OMM, and also Patagonia all make an ultralight zip neck synthetic insulation piece that weighs nothing but compresses to very little as well. The weight of fleece is no big deal but the compression sucks.

Fireball Smock from Montane

These Primaloft/synthetic pieces compress down to about the size of a large apple but will still give the same, if not better, insulation as the Patagonia R1 I was intending on bringing. I'd prefer the Patagonia because I would use it for more than racing but the price is too much. So the hunt is on to find the cheapest option and it appears to be the Montane version, the Fireball Smock. We had these at my old job and they were like all Montane stuff, ultralight but the quality/durability didn't seem to be there. Well, I'm paying for the ultralight, I'm not worried about the durability anyway. Not sure if I'll get one but the eBay radar is on full power! 

It's funny how such a simple sport of running one can accumulate all sorts of extra crap! Oh, and sorry for the shitty photos. I figure it was better than a bunch of words!   

No comments:

Post a Comment