Monday, January 5, 2015

Easily managed 40 miles this past week. Right where I want to be. I was however hoping to be doing speedwork now in January twice a week but I'll hold off just to be safe. Went to JKD last night and worked out normally. The hernia didn't seem to mind. A pretty mellow night for the most part, more technical than physical, but the final conditioning drill was pushing it. Two minutes of sit ups, on the "up phase" you throw a jab and cross at a partner. Of course I'm no slacker so went all out. Hernia held up ok, I need to take it easy though, just in case. 

Nixed the compression shorts idea for the hernia. The pressure wasn't in the right place. I've been trying to find another pair of Pearl Izumi Ultra 3/4 tights and/or full length in black. They are in the UK but out of stock currently. They only have the black and green. Why add color? I hate that. As mentioned the Ultra tights seem more compressive and have awesome pockets on them, back zip is bigger than normal and the two side hidden pockets are nice to have. Great piece of clothing! 

In other hernia related news no word from the doctor yet. I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly. I'm torn whether to follow up and get it done or just keep on training in hopes of at least completing GUCR. If I do it I'll most likely be shot for the summer anyway so why not have surgery post race? That is IF I make it to the start fit! I guess I need a professional to look at it anyway. Thinking positive maybe it's no big deal, or maybe it is?! 



Loaded up on shoes a few weeks back. TK Maxx (TJ Maxx equivalent) seemed to acquire a pile of Brooks PureFlow 2. Honestly I felt real bad not "supporting the local" (ie my own employer) but when I can get three pairs of shoes for one I'm going for it! Even with my work discount I'd get two shoes for the price of one! Lame on Brooks to dump old stock though. Lame on me I guess supporting it. Actually was really psyched. The wife spotted them, found my size, and bought them! That was impressive as she's not a runner, knows nothing about it, and knows I'm very specific in the things I buy. Really blew my mind she did that. That's not like her at all. Very happy husband. 



So still not morning running. No big deal. Been enjoying going out at night. The wife spotted on my Amazon Wishlist the Petzl Nao headlamp (poached photo care of Petzl!). Damn expensive. But holy shit is it awesome! It's got the battery pack on the back which I normally don't like but it rides just fine. The coolest thing about it though, besides it's crazy bright, is that it has a sensor on it to adjust the brightness automatically depending on the light conditions. Also the on/off knob uses a twisting motion which is super glove friendly and easy to operate. Pretty sweet. It came highly recommended from my friend Nathan in Oregon who used it with great success at Pine to a Palm 100. He said the battery drain isn't too bad either which is always a concern. 

So I'm the guy with all the gear, limited time, and a possible injury! Oh, and yes I HAVE ideas! 








No comments:

Post a Comment