Friday, August 17, 2012

Centurion Running, the race promoter for the North Downs Way 50 I recently did, has their official results up and also their race report. Pretty cool. Click HERE for the whole thing otherwise here's a snippet of the 50 mile race:

photo from  www.centurionrunning.com
"The 50 mile course remained the same as the previous year. Martin Kennards 2011 Course Record of 7:35 looked under threat from early on as Darryl Carter bore down on the aid stations at a blistering pace. Darryl made it through to the 50km mark at Reigate Hill in just 4:25 but had Steve Patterson and Andrew Stevens pushing hard 6 and 8 minutes back respectively. By the time they had emerged at the top of Botley Hill, Steve had a two minute lead over Darryl and proceeded to hang on through to the finish, taking the win in 7:22:45, 5 minutes ahead of Darryl. Both went under the old Course Record. Andrew Stevens rounded out the podium as the only other man to break 8 hours."  from www.centurionrunning.com
Sounds like they've got a bunch of photos from the race they'll have on their website soon. Excited to check them out. I was down alone so any pics I acquire will be due to people kind enough to take pictures of random people!

Yesterday got out for about 4 easy miles. Felt just fine running. Took my New Balance Minimus shoes for a spin to stretch out the legs. Kind of regretted it today since I woke up with sore lower legs, should've known better! Honestly I understand the benefits of running in a minimalist shoe but would much rather be comfortable with some cushioning. I'll keep trying to wear them once a week or so to strengthen my feet and lower legs, but otherwise I'll stick to my standard shoes.

Today was awake early to run despite being up late due to the little one but decided to hold off. Later in the day I wished I would have gone out early because I ended running on our treadmill for 30 minutes. Felt alright but I think the nature of the treadmill bothered my IT band on my right leg a bit. Got on the roller and fixed it right up!

Hoping to get out for a normal run tomorrow morning. Curious how I'll feel.

So I mentioned a few days ago "what next". Well the cross country thing is a definite possibility. Round Rotherham is most likely a big no. I don't think the wife will be into me doing that race mainly because it's the little one's 1st birthday the day after. Some other options I've thought of were just getting out and running some cool long runs. They're pretty much free and I get to explore some cool trails and portions of the countryside here.

Some of these I may have mentioned before but first on the list would most likely be the Worcestershire Way from Bewdley to Malvern. I've ran half of it and it totals out at around 35 miles with the extra spur from my house. Run along the canal to or from Birmingham, flat and a lot of urban interface but could be cool none the less, maybe 32 miles. North Worcestershire Way Path goes the opposite of the Worcestershire Way and is around 37 miles. So those are a few to start with. There a ton of options for these "Long Distance Paths" as they are referred to here. The North Downs Way was one of them but there are lot of smaller less known trails as well.Good thing is they are marked pretty well so if you have a map you should be ok.

Sorry for the lack of photos lately, the weather hasn't been conducive to photos so I've been leaving my camera at home. I'll try to get back at it this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment