Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ugh. So the lack of sleep has continued until last night. I think we've got the little one back to normal. Now I need to get back to normal in seven days!

Monday got on the trainer for an easy half hour spin. Tuesday nothing. Wednesday I managed a run however I felt like complete crap, exhausted, but still pulled off about 6 miles. Thursday off. Friday another poor quality 5 miles. Which brings us to today.

The wife went to a baby birthday party of her step sisters'. So, I decided to get a run in. Wanted to do 10 easy miles. Ended up out for about 12 miles for way too long. Explored around Ribbesford Wood/Danny's Dash race course, great trails, poor quality run. Felt like complete crap. My muscles were ok but my mind is utterly trashed from lack of sleep. Sure is a change from crankin' out 745 minute miles for 34 miles a couple weeks ago. I hope I didn't peak for that run, I know I could have held that pace for another 16 miles no problem.

I know I can finish but I do not know if I can finish how I want to finish. I'm just hoping that if the little one sleeps normal this week I'll be able to recover this week and be able to be a "competer versus a completer" in seven days. I figure with the help of the little one, focusing on sleeping during the day, and maybe some meditation in the mornings I'll get back to normal. I was pretty bummed out today, still am, at how I feel but I need to stay positive. I have the fitness, just need to get the mind back in line. You put so much effort (4am starts, juggling schedules, good workouts, bad workouts, injuries, dealing with the wife and the little one) and time into the training and then you're off by just a bit makes it tough.

Looks like the weather is going to be partly sunny and 70 most of the week before and also day of the race so road shoes will work just fine, no need for trail shoes which is nice. The trails should be nice and dry, no mud. Still planning on one handheld, some gels, maps (yes people have gotten lost), maybe some salt tablets, and maybe a bit of athletic tape in case of blister issues and that's it. I can carry gels in my shorts and aid stations aren't so far apart that I'll need more water. There are a couple about 11 miles apart but a little planning ahead and I should be fine. Feet are doing well, maybe a hotspot forming on the outside right ball of my foot but I think I can solve it with an Engo patch or just deal with it. So things are looking good other than the tiredness.

Hoping for an easy 5 to 8 miles tomorrow then an easy week until race day. I'm going down to the race myself which will guarantee me a solid nights sleep before the race. The train ride back should be interesting but I'll worry about that when the night comes. If need be I'll get a hotel post race but would prefer to get home.

Ok, time to work on that recovery for the week, I'm off to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment