Thursday, August 30, 2012



Looked into this upcoming race a bit more. So it's the Stretton Skyline and is 19 miles long with 4,450 ft of vertical. Not too bad I guess for not being in the mountains. The men's course record has stood since 1986 and is about 2 hours 17 minutes. I'm assuming in the grand scheme of things that's fast!

So we are required to carry waterproof jacket and pants which I think is lame. I hate having shit bouncing off my waist which is most likely where it will stay. If it rains we'll run harder to keep warm! I actually think this rule is in place from the Fell Running Association for safety in case you get lost or injured and are stuck out for a while.

It seems there is no "official" route. "Navigational skills are recommended as there is considerable route choice & the course is not marked, except for a short section between the Lawley & Dudgeley Farm".  It appears that the fastest and most efficient way between the 7 checkpoints is the way to go. We are not required but they recommend carrying an OS map of the area (the USGS equivalent in the UK), whistle, compass, and food. They've also got a map of the course for us to carry. They have water at three of the checkpoints which is nice.

So sounds like it should be fun. Definitely different. I have an uber light waterproof jacket I got last year. The Montane Lite-Speed H2O breaths as good as a garbage bag but it weighs in at 5.5 oz and packs down tiny. It's a medium but I think I should have gotten the small. The UK fit is kind of weird. I also just got a pair of Montane Minimus waterproof pants, they weigh in at 4.4 oz. Mine will be a bit lighter since they are size small. Montane is a British company that seems to cater to a lot of these fell races and another similar event here in the UK known as a mountain marathon. It seems like ok gear but definitely not all that durable and as I mentioned the jackets fit kind of weird; I like that slim alpine fit. Well light is right and considering less is more in this case I'm looking good.

Definitely will be wearing trail shoes. My Mizuno Wave Harriers have aggressive enough tread but are a size too small. I may try to dig up a pair of something new to try but otherwise they'll work even if they do give me some toe issues descending.

I would have posted a map of the course but for some reason Blogger won't let me post any photos today!

One last thing, got my finger on the pulse for another ultra. Not many go down in the winter and I'm itchin' to do another 50 miler. I came across the Thames Trot 50, 50 miles from Oxford to Henley along the River Thames. Fast fast fast course. I'm pretty sure it's either flat or downhill the whole way.  Race goes down on February 2nd, the promoter said they expect it to fill by November so I need to get clearance from the wife and then get registered!

No comments:

Post a Comment