Monday, May 15, 2017

Week 7

Since my last post I took the prescribed days off and got out for a run Friday night. Easy 4-5 miles I think. I initially ran pain free then my foot started to hurt a bit, not bad, but still there. The good thing is that the things I'm doing are working, the physio said it won't go away immediately anyway. Progress. I like that.

Talybont Reservoir

I took Saturday off from running and left for Wales early from work at 4 pm. I was going to Brecon Beacons to volunteer at The Trail Event Company's Brecon Beacons trail running races on Sunday. Western States 100 entry requires 8 hours volunteer work aiding trail and ultra running. You can do trail work, help at an aid station, or any other role needed at an event. I helped to sweep the marathon and ultra marathon events on Sunday.

I arrived around 6 pm at Talybont, Wales. I'd been here before for another ultra that I had raced maybe five years ago, Likey's Beacons Ultra. The organizers and other volunteers were busy setting up. It was fun to see behind the scenes and was astonished at how much work and how exhausted the crew was! I offered to help wherever and then just socialized into the night. I met the Saxx underwear national sales rep. He was here marketing his products. He formerly had worked for Columbia Sportswear and brought the Canadian Saxx brand over here. I had a blast talking about the outdoor industry with him. Technical fabrics. Etc. He knows what outdoor retail is like in the US and how poor for the most part it is here as far as sales people. 

We all went to bed around 10 pm.

Everyone was up just after 5 am. Runners were expected to begin registering at 630 am. The ultra race (50km) started at 730 am followed by the marathon at 830 am. I'd be starting with and following the marathoners clearing signage after checkpoint 2, where the half marathon turned off. The marathon had a few people walking which made for slow going at first. I enjoyed the weather and the views as I kept my distance. Walking along in silence brought back memories of working alone as a Ranger for the Park Service.

trail signage in English and Welsh
I caught up to a very nice couple from Cardiff who were watching their son race the half marathon. The husband was all kitted out in top name outdoor brands and didn't just have "the look," he was very knowledgable of the Welsh countryside. It was fun to hear about the native trees etc. before forestry practices and logging were implemented. Shortly we were at the second aid station, their son came tearing by in the lead, and we parted ways. Now my job would become more difficult.

first of many steep climbs in the Beacons
From here on I would collect any signage placed that marked the course. Flagging, signs, and signs on small stakes. I was still slowed by the walkers but the course soon would become much less runnable as we climbed up on top and all over the Brecon Beacons. I'd carry everything on my back in a canvas bag.

top of the official race course's first climb
But wait! I've yet to mention my foot! Well, it was doing exceedingly well. Sure I wasn't running much and still an easy pace, but that's what will happen at WS100! The pain was minimal, it faded, and came back, then faded. I actually was more aware of some Achilles pain I had. Last week I had decided to throw an arch support in my shoes for fun. I had been stressing my arch by compensating for my injury and didn't want another injury. They seemed to help all day on my feet at work and were super comfortable. Comfort is all that matters for running shoes so I put them in my running shoes to test out. They must be helping as all 32 miles on my feet, sometimes running with 50 lbs of signage on my back, my foot was alright. Towards the end I did notice Achilles pain, which I'll need to deal with too, but for now it seems things are going in the right direction.

 Anyway, the tour through the Beacons was great. Around Pen Y Fan, the high point, it was insanely busy with another event and it being a tourist attraction. Here the ultra course split off from the marathon so the walkers would now get a 6 mile head start as I turned off and began running more. Most of the course I'd either raced or hiked previously but the final third was mostly new terrain which was really cool. Up high we did get a little rain, and of course horrid inconsistent winds, down low it was very nice, mostly sunny.


I dumped signage at checkpoint 3 and gathered a huge amount on my way to checkpoint 4. It was a relief to get there, I'm sure I was carrying over 50lbs of stakes! Up high there aren't any trees so all of the signs had wooden stakes. I had only 4 miles left but hopped in the car for a bit as it was easier and faster to clear the course this way. Then we hit the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal and I ran in the final couple miles that weren't accessible by car. Calm, quiet, along the canal, and a bluebird sky to finish the day. 

bag of stakes on my back with the Beacons behind me
Long day out. Sure, I walked a lot covering 32 miles and did my job of clearing. However for training this was a great day. Time on feet is important and I practiced my feeding. I was moving and exposed to weather from 830am to 7pm! I was exhausted but happy I was able to move despite my recent injury.

fields along the Canal
So what's next? Well I need to get a solid plan going but need to focus on long runs. Ideally I'd like to have a few 20 milers preceded by a 13 - 17 milers. During the week take it easier. Honestly I'm not too sure but will hopefully refocus being mindful of injury rehab. I only really have four weeks, then a two week taper.

click me to expand an maybe you'll get a better view (pano), Beacons lined up in the distance

2 comments:

  1. The countryside looks beautiful! Glad to hear the foot is healing properly. Gail & I did an 8 mile loop on the Superior Hiking Trail around the Cascade River this weekend and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of your photos online, cool area up there! South Wales is totally awesome and within an easy drive too! Foot still hurts but seems to be getting better. I just need to get my mojo back now!

      Delete