Monday, May 22, 2017

Week 6

Burnthorne Lane, sunset

Been kind of a tough week. I initially figured I'd take Monday and Tuesday off since I was pretty sore from running in Brecon Beacons. Mostly my quads were trashed from the downhill. I was excited about this as WS100 has a lot of down. I decided to run Wednesday morning, woke at 430 AM and was happy and ready to go. Once out the door that changed. I was exhausted and couldn't get going. My intended 10 miler on this beautiful morning was reduced to 3 abnormally slow miles. Probably I'm still recovering from Sunday.

following a new footpath
Midweek it felt like I'd lost my mojo. No drive like I had in winter. Friday I realized I've gotten a cold from the kids. I've been focusing on healthy eating and cold prevention for the past couple months as the kids have been coughing incessantly. I didn't want that. Now despite my efforts I've got something. Once again, timing, my least favorable quality comes out.

In a surge of positivity I had a great 10 plus mile run on Friday night. It was good to smile again. I knew I'd pay for it but it felt too good to run comfortably. Saturday, yes, I did pay for it. Sore foot. I went to work with intentions of running 10-14 but deemed it best to rest.

footpath cut through field
Sunday the wife was up early to go to the British equivalent of a flea market/garage sale, aka "car boot sale." I was hoping to get out in the afternoon but as usual I was pushed back to after 8pm. 20 plus miles kept me out late. I had an awesome run but didn't get to bed until midnight and of course the wife was up for work at 5am which also woke up the little guy around 530. It's Monday and I'm wrecked.

fields

Slowly it seems as if I'm healing up. The pain in my foot has been very transient and I can usually stretch or roll my muscles and make it go away. The urge to run is back, I know I need more miles, but it looks like once again I'll enter a 100 miler under trained. I thought this was the one. Everything had been going so smoothly. All I want is the opportunity to train appropriately and do my best. Maybe one day I'll realize that the time has past. I don't know what I'll become if I ever accept that. Since moving to the UK it feels as if every shred of who I was is now gone, the one thing I hold on to is running. 

Running = happiness



No comments:

Post a Comment